LS1 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Tune

Hi

My 1998 Z28 is running a little rough. I plan to take it into a shop, but know nothing about the LS1. What sort of items should be done/checked to an LS1 when doing a tuneup? Plugs, plug wires, O2 sensors, etc?

Thanks JA

Last edited by JGA; 04-30-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How exactly is it running (symptoms)? How long have you had it, how long has it been running rough, is the engine light on, do you have any mods?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:24 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Default How is it running

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
How exactly is it running (symptoms)? How long have you had it, how long has it been running rough, is the engine light on, do you have any mods?
Hi
I have owned the car for 4 months. K&N induction, Borla catback, Hypertech 180 stat, B&M trany cooler and aluminum drive shaft. The car has about 45k miles on it. It's an A4 car. The engine compression is perfect (as per the report from the dealer I purchased the car from).

It runs pretty well, but at WOT just about when it shifts, it misses a bit/runs rough. I also seems to be a little low on power for overall performance. The idle is also a little rough.

I will soon install MAC headers/cat Y pipe and a that time I will replace the plugs and install new high temp wires and boot protectors. It was also recommended to replace the rear O2 sensore with Bosh units. However, I wasn't planning on replacing the O2 sensor unless I get engine codes after the headers are installed.

The car does not have any engine codes at this time, nor does it have any excessive smoke from the exaust. After the headers go on I was planning on getting a Vinci hand held tuner for a power tune, but I do not have it yet. There is no one locally that can custom tune an LS1.

Just woundering what sort of things I should be looking at on the LS1 when I do the header install.

Thanks JA
Old 04-30-2005, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi It was also recommended to replace the rear O2 sensore with Bosh units. However, I wasn't planning on replacing the O2 sensor unless I get engine codes after the headers are installed.
All the rear O2's do is verify that there are functioning cats. If there is no engine light the rear O2's are fine.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the front O2's with a pair designated for the rear banks on a C5 corvette. Bosch part number for them is 13111 at autozone.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:34 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

JA