Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oil leaking out my rear main seal when I get on it??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leaking out my rear main seal when I get on it??????????????

When I get on it I start leaving a trail of smoke. It is not a little one either. I jacked up the car today and noticed it was coming out of the rear main seal. The bottom of my car is soaked with oil. When I drive the car normal it seems to stop leaking. I just got the tranny rebuilt and change dthe oil recently. The tranny was not doing this until I changed the oil and raced it last night. I am thinking I just over filled it. WHAT ARE YOUR .02 ON THE SITUATION?????
Old 04-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Restricted User

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where is the highest point of the leak. Are you SURE it's the rear main seal? That would suck big time cause the trans has to come back out.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 01350ss
where is the highest point of the leak. Are you SURE it's the rear main seal? That would suck big time cause the trans has to come back out.

Yeah, it looks like the highest point of leak is the rear main seal, but it was fine before I changed the fluid and raced the car last night.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Restricted User

No one has ever had this happen to them before?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

maybe it's been like that for a while and when you put the fluid in the level went to where it's supose to be and leaks I don't know
Old 05-01-2005, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

No, you're not alone on this one. I too have a leaking rear main seal, which started after I installed my Spec II. So far I've changed the rear main three times, with no improvement. The only thing I haven't checked/replaced is crank walk (movement fore and aft of the crankshaft). Reason? Don't know how, and I'm not paying someone else to do it. I wipe down the bell housing and every oil change pull the tranny out and clean out the bell. BTW, I can strip the tranny out in just under 20 minutes now.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro_SS
No, you're not alone on this one. I too have a leaking rear main seal, which started after I installed my Spec II. So far I've changed the rear main three times, with no improvement. The only thing I haven't checked/replaced is crank walk (movement fore and aft of the crankshaft). Reason? Don't know how, and I'm not paying someone else to do it. I wipe down the bell housing and every oil change pull the tranny out and clean out the bell. BTW, I can strip the tranny out in just under 20 minutes now.
I too also had your similar problem. At first they thought it was the rear main, then the plate holding the rear main seal was slightly bent ,after all that time and money they found out that thier is a freeze plug in the back of the crank that got turned sideways letting oil out at the rear main seal. They said this happened from putting in a new pilot bearing to far. Whether or not they were lying to me , I dont know but it does leak any more.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 86 MOnte Carlo SS that does the smae thing. When you hold it wide open after about 1/8th mile it will start smokin like hell from oil on the exhaust. They guy I bought it off of said that he was sure he got the rear main seal in wrong. it does the same thing
Old 05-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Restricted User

Mine is coming from the tranny rear main seal. Is this the same seal you guys are talking about?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fstGM
Mine is coming from the tranny rear main seal. Is this the same seal you guys are talking about?

LOL no man, they are talking about the rear main seal on the back of the motor behind the flywheel.

you are losing tranny fluid then right? which is leaking from your tailshaft seal?

you just got your tranny rebuilt how easy was it to slide your driveshaft in? normally after I rebuild a tranny its really hard to get the yoke in. maybe they didnt replace that seal or put a new one in or left it out!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Holy Noobishness Batman!! You said "OIL", not "FLUID". we were soooo !
Old 05-03-2005, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

when I looked at the title, I thought that should be in internal engine. I actually know 1fstGM, so I thought id chime in, hehe. glad to hear its not the rear main seal that is a freaking nightmare and a half.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

If they put in a new pilot bearing they very possibly moved the plug in the center of the crank [right behind the pilot brg. it is easy to do if you dont know its there, it will cause a large oil leak. repairing the problem is not easy the plug has to be driven out [to the inside] then a new plug installed from the rear ,you will have to remove the pan to get the plug out. good luck getting the tranny shop to fix their screw up.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Restricted User

My bad I should have said fluid. What trips me out is that the first time I put the tranny in and filled it up and it was cool, but when I change the fluid about 400 miles later and top it off again this happens. It was just kind of weird to me. The smoking has decreased ever since, but I will have to check and see if it is leveling off or if it is because there is no more fluid in it. First impression was that I must have blown something in the tranny since it was the first time I raced it after changing the fluid, but I guess the worst it can be is just a bad rear main seal.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking out my rear main seal when I get on it??????????????