Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question for the torque thrust II gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for the torque thrust II gurus

I have pretty much decided on torque thrust II's over some ZO6 rims. I was looking at a post on another board and a person mentioned that you have to get at least 17's in order to fit. I would like to order the stock size of 16x8. I have noticed everyone that has torque thrust rims are running at least 17's, so maybe there is some truth to that? Also, I know the bolt pattern is 5 x4.75. But I'm having trouble finding the backspacing. Also, I keep hearing things like 56mm offset. I've never ordered new wheels before and I plan on ordering them with tires installed. So I definetly have to get the right ones. I've looked thru the topics at the beginning of the wheel&tire section and I'm still confused. I guess I'm wanting to know what is the stock backspacing for my factory 16x8 wheels and the offset if need be. If I had to go with 17's would those parameters still be the same as if I ordered 16's. Thanks for any help to this still learning LS1 junkie.
Joe
Old 05-01-2005, 04:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the 17s, I think you'll be happier and avoid any clearance issues with the calipers. The offset s/b 46 mm and the backspacing for the 17x9.5 will be 7.

Product Number: 50579563
Size: 17x9.5
Product Description: 17X9.5 T-THRUST II 5X4.75+ Fully polished
Backside Spacing (in/mm): 7/178
Offset: 45.72mm

Here's a description & link.
Offset is the distance from the Centerline of the wheel to the wheel bolt up face (the part of the wheel that contacts the car's hub when you attach the wheel). Positive or Negative is the descriptive term that tells us whether the wheel bolt up face is farther towards the inner or outer part of the wheel. Defining which side positive or negative means is the part not everyone agrees with. Backspace is not near as confusing. Backspace is the distance from the edge of the inner rim to the wheel bolt up face.
http://www.usacomp.com/Offset.htm
Old 05-01-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

On the looks side I think a 16" TT would look awful. Very small. I bet the stocks would look better on our cars. 17 will make you much happier.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

definitely go with 17's, I have them on my pewter SS if you want to see what it looks like http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=790596
Old 05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wonderin about that stuff to, I was gonna get torq thrust II's but alot of people have them. I've decided on the 200 Cragar SS http://www.weldracing.com/Weld_Racin...cragar225.shtm

They still resemble the torq thrust look a little but ive never seen n e body with them, im planing on getting 17x8 on the front and 17x11 on the back
I want the back wheels to stick out of the wheel well a little the stock rims sit like an inch in and i dont think it looks to aggressive
Old 05-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot for all the helpful info. I definetly know which direction to go now. 17's would look a whole lot better. Fill in the wheel wells a better than the 16's.
Thanks again, Joe