Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best "Chip"

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best "Chip"

what is the best "Chip" For the money? There are a whole bunch on ebay can anyone help me, I have a 98 formula m6 bone stock.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is no "chip" for these cars, in the sense there used to be (ie. swapping an EPROM in a 1990 Camaro for instance). Everything is now done by flash programming through the diagnostic port under the dashboard. When it comes to improving performance via computer tuning, if you have the time and interest to do it yourself you can't go wrong with HPTuners or EFILive (both sponsors here). These tools give you the ability to alter every aspect of how the car's computer controls your engine. If after looking at these packages it seems a bit too much to dive into, check to see if there is a site sponsor near you -- many of them offer computer tuning as well. I'd personally steer clear of the "tuning in a box" products like the Hypertech, as they're too limited in what they can do.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zerokube
what is the best "Chip" For the money? There are a whole bunch on ebay can anyone help me, I have a 98 formula m6 bone stock.
If you mean the $15 Ebay specials then donate your money to a worthy charity, it would be better spent. These things are a joke

If you don't want to invest in learning to tune yourself using one of the PC based tuning packages you could always try a Hypertech or Predator 'pre-canned' tune. Though I personally don't know how good they are either, others on this forum would be more than willing to advise you there.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
If you don't want to invest in learning to tune yourself using one of the PC based tuning packages you could always try a Hypertech or Predator 'pre-canned' tune. Though I personally don't know how good they are either, others on this forum would be more than willing to advise you there.

I'm not sure about the predator... but the Hypertech tune is crap...
Old 05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by horist
I'm not sure about the predator... but the Hypertech tune is crap...
isn't the wait time on predator tunes like 2-3 mo right now? save your money and get a dyno tune when you have more mods(ie full bolt-ons). find a place that will retune you free for life, or charge you very minimally. that way when you get a cam it won't cost too much.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
isn't the wait time on predator tunes like 2-3 mo right now? save your money and get a dyno tune when you have more mods(ie full bolt-ons). find a place that will retune you free for life, or charge you very minimally. that way when you get a cam it won't cost too much.

Yup my first and only tune took for months to be completed, I got a cam now and I've been waiting for almost 2 months again.
I requested a new custom tune 4 weeks before their forum was closed down...
And it will take several attempt to make a tune good...so maybe I look forward a half a year time frame before I can say the tune is good.
While their sites states: to get a custom tune it takes 2-3 business days.
Just wondering what's up with the price policy...do I still have to pay couse I asked for the tune like 3 weeks before the new policy...not that I would care for 25$ if they send me a tune within 2-3 business days as it advertised.

Spend your money somewhere else.