Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear install..... fun fun fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear install..... fun fun fun

So i thought id be cool and install my 3.73's and a new diff, so i read up on that guide from fullsizechevy.com got familiar with it and have the guide next to me through the install.... it kinda goes smoothly, but the parts he says will be hard as hell(removing bearing from pinion) are easy as cake, and the simple tasks seems to be near impossible!

This thread is for to see if anyone else experiences this their first time.... lol

I am looking for small hints to help things go smoothly.... I am putting it all back together... the fun stuff
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

wishing you luck... I've thought about doing this myself... but am scared to.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:01 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Use a solid spacer, or start your crush sleeve in a vise.
Measure your old pinion head(from the bearing surface to the end of the head), and your new pinion, and then adjust the old shim accordingly- if the new pinion is bigger, remove shim- if it is smaller, add shim.
Or just try the new gear with your old shim, you should be very close.
Check your backlash in 3-4 places, and also the same with your pattern.
If you let me know where you are having problems I may be abe to help more.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely not fun doing gears on a lowered camaro in my garage, but ia m taking it slow,not rushing anything, all that is left is to get the backlash and close it all up... hopefully this will not kill me...lol Ill let you know hoe it goes... hopefully it willbe done tonight!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

So, i am trying to figure backlash, but the orig shims are too big... the carrier willnot turn once it get in.... and it takes alot toget the carrier in, so should i go down a couple hundredths on shim size? The orig shims were .234" and .239" if that helps
Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1-Z28
So, i am trying to figure backlash, but the orig shims are too big... the carrier willnot turn once it get in.... and it takes alot toget the carrier in, so should i go down a couple hundredths on shim size? The orig shims were .234" and .239" if that helps
Take about .006 out and try that. Then go a couple thousandths either way until you get it right.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Well, i got the shims sized up right, but when i put it all in, i still hear clanking, even when i move the ring gear to the left as far as i can, and when i tighten down the bearing caps, the same carrier lockup condition occurs... this sucks
Old 05-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

well, i am still stumped, so i guess ttt
Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Default No offense meant.

I'm really not trying to put you down, but you are in over your head. Please stop and get some help.
When I set up a 10 bolt, since I don't have a lift, I take the whole rear end out. That takes about an hour. You really have to have the gauges to measure pinion depth and backlash. I use setup bearings, dial indicator, press and a couple of jigs I've made to make it all easier. Then, I look at the pattern. If it isn't right, I make adjustments.
If you don't do this right, it will make a lot of noise and not last long.
Good luck.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Houston
I'm really not trying to put you down, but you are in over your head. Please stop and get some help.
When I set up a 10 bolt, since I don't have a lift, I take the whole rear end out. That takes about an hour. You really have to have the gauges to measure pinion depth and backlash. I use setup bearings, dial indicator, press and a couple of jigs I've made to make it all easier. Then, I look at the pattern. If it isn't right, I make adjustments.
If you don't do this right, it will make a lot of noise and not last long.
Good luck.

Oh, i am definitely in over my head, but i figured it out.... i botched putting in the rear pinion bearing race so the pinion gear was WAY too close to the ring gear causing the bind up... i fixed that put it together and slapped my dial gauge on and got 9 thousandths... on to painting and diggin myself even deeper into the hole

i worked on a differential in a class of mine, but i did not do any bearing replacements so the process was much simpler....

I really should have removed my entire rear end... that would have made life sooo much easier, that though did not even cross my mind...lol
Old 05-04-2005, 04:12 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Okay, did you mark the caps before you removed them and reinstal lhtem on the right side? That could be causing your bearing binding problem. Also check to make sure there are no imperfections in the bearings and races, or even in the housing bores. It is possible you damaged a bearing during install, especially if you did something like use a air hammer.
The cse should have slight resistance going in. You should have to tap it in with a rubber mallet or lightly with a hammer. Set your backlash with very little preload. When you get it right then just add equal amounts of shims to both sides to get your preload, and recheck your backlash. Shoot for .008" on a 7.6.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

I figured out why my dumbass was binding... pinion bearing race not fully seated... had to use the old race to get it all the way inside... a novice mistake.... got the backlash and patter looking good and am just about finished with this hellatious install

thanks for all the help... hopefully my moronic self did not screw this up....lol
Old 05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

The days were long and boring... but it is all together and i drove it for about 5-7 mins and heard no whine, but i did not get to a very high speed... only like 50ish since the speedo is bye bye.... wheni was adding lube, i added 4 quarts and the lsd additive, and then it looked like the pinion seal night not have sealed right onto the pinion, and there was a small leak, but after driving it there is no more leak.... that i can see at least.... i am going to be ignorant and hope that spinning the pinion helped seat that seal.... well that is most def the last gear install i EVER do!

thanks for the help
Old 05-05-2005, 11:39 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by LT1-Z28
The days were long and boring... but it is all together and i drove it for about 5-7 mins and heard no whine, but i did not get to a very high speed... only like 50ish since the speedo is bye bye.... wheni was adding lube, i added 4 quarts and the lsd additive, and then it looked like the pinion seal night not have sealed right onto the pinion, and there was a small leak, but after driving it there is no more leak.... that i can see at least.... i am going to be ignorant and hope that spinning the pinion helped seat that seal.... well that is most def the last gear install i EVER do!

thanks for the help
4 quarts??? Are you sure? How did you fill it?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

i also installed a new girdle, and i used the fill plug, and i was told to add until until the level was at the fill hole... i could not really tell how close i was to it, but i was under the impression 3 quarts would be enough... im confused, but i guess the good old 7.5" is a mystery to me
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Default Four qts is too much!

You should use the fill hole on the pumpkin, not on the new cover. That is way too much. Open the plug on the pumpkin and let it run out to that level. Even with an aftermarket girdle/cover it takes just under 2 qts.
I'm surprised you didn't have gear lub blowing out the vent - a lot of it blowing out!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg.... well then.. looks as though ill be getting under the rear end one last time.... to remember the good ol' times.... again, thanks for the help
Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Glad to help. I hope you only have to go back under the car for the rear end once more!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

SWEEEEETTTTAAAAAAHHHHH...... i have a kinda bad whine on decel and on a no-load condition.... it is not very loud on the no load, and i am thinking it is prolly my pinion depth.... and since that requires me to tear it all apart... im pulling my rear end so my punk *** is not under the car for another amount of endless hours lol.... i figure i can prolly repaint them and see if i need to add or take some shims out...
Old 05-07-2005, 01:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The 2 biggest causes of decel whine are too loose backlash or not enough pinion bearing pre-load. Check those things first. If you have a good pattern, then you can tighten up the backlash. Depending on the gears you can go as tight as .005", I would stay .006-.008".
Did you reuse the stock shim? Or measure the old and new pinion?