Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Discoloration of wheel????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Discoloration of wheel????

I have my stock ws6 wheels. one of them has almost a white looking stain on it. i dont understand what happend and how to get it off.. i tried about everything...i think it may have been on of the wheel cleaners that i used because it looks like there are streaks in it. is there any way i can get this off? anyone ever had this problem before?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

are these wheels painted, polished? got a pic?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

they are polished aluminum. any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Launching!

The set I had that I let sit and get they way ended up being ruined.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

if they are polished, (and make sure they dont have clearcoat on them... that could be peeling causing your white stain) then all you need to do is sand them down using an extremely high grit sand paper. i'd suggest at least 1500 grit. then get some mothers aluminum wheel polish to bring back out the mirror shine. it takes a lot of elbow grease, and the courage to take the sandpaper to the wheel, but it will work.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Loochy88
if they are polished, (and make sure they dont have clearcoat on them... that could be peeling causing your white stain) then all you need to do is sand them down using an extremely high grit sand paper. i'd suggest at least 1500 grit. then get some mothers aluminum wheel polish to bring back out the mirror shine. it takes a lot of elbow grease, and the courage to take the sandpaper to the wheel, but it will work.
there isnt any clearcoat peeling....but im sure there is a clear coat on them...would you still recommend sanding them?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

if they are high polished aluminum.... the aluminum wheels that look like they're chrome (not chrome and not painted) then sanding them would be what you need to do. I'd suggest starting with a high grit... say 1500, and move down from that if you need to. once you find a grit that takes the stain off, move back up to 1500, or even 2000. then polish them with mothers aluminum polish. they should look like new. if youre not sure what sort of material please find out first, or you can ruin your wheels. also, be careful what sort of cleaners you use on them from now on. certain cleaners will ruin polished aluminum.

ive polished mine several times, they still look pretty darn good
http://www.thenebula.com/carpics/pics4/100wheel.JPG