Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter didn't want to go in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter didn't want to go in reverse

Never had a problem with it before.

Get in the car this afternoon and it just doesn't want to go into reverse. Had to really push it over, finally went in. Same thing next time I started the car up.

Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same prob occasionally, I just put it in neutral, let out the clutch, then try for reverse again, and it will usually go in with no problem (NFC why it works but it does)
Might also check the reverse lockout solenoid (no service vehicle lights on ?)
Old 05-01-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
I get the same prob occasionally, I just put it in neutral, let out the clutch, then try for reverse again, and it will usually go in with no problem (NFC why it works but it does)
Nope, no lights. Just SES but that's for EGR so I'd have no clue if something else went wrong because that'll be on for a while.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Mine now does the same thing. I have had a new clutch installed and just recently had a new rear end installed. I am sure that the problem is not the reverse lockout because the shifter will go over far enough and when you try to apply upward pressure to get it in gear it feels like it's not lined up and will not go. I had to open the door and push the car back with my foot this afternoon in order to have some room to roll and finally work the car into reverse. I wish I knew what caused this as it only started recently and only for reverse. Let me know if you find out anything and I will do the same.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have any of you checked for a blown fuse under the hood?? There is one for the reverse lockout.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the fuse were blown, you would be restricted from the gate. This is reported as an issue with getting the gate but not moving into gear. I suspect either the clutchis dragging slightly or the reverse synchro blocker ring/ clutching ring are toast.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA

You might also try putting it into 1st gear then into reverse (all with the clutch in).
Old 05-21-2005, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rainman
Never had a problem with it before.

Get in the car this afternoon and it just doesn't want to go into reverse. Had to really push it over, finally went in. Same thing next time I started the car up.

Any ideas?

It happens, just put it in 1st gear then in reverse...all while the clutch is engaged.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it still gives you problems, you may have a bad master/slave/throwout bearing, and it's not giving you enough pressure/throw to get the tranny into reverse. My slave it toast right now, and it's almost impossible to get into reverse, I have to pump the clutch a ton, then shove it in reverse.

You may want to rebleed the system and see if that helps. Clutch could be worn out too and isn't getting enough release to let it in reverse.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

i had a problem getting the trany into reverse in my cavalier. i would press the gas down (approx 1500 rpms) let up very slightly on the cluth and direct the shifter into reverse (no force). worked every time

Quick Reply: Shifter didn't want to go in reverse