Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed my spec 3.. have a couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Just installed my spec 3.. have a couple ?'s

I know people ask this stuff a million times but it's really bugging me. I just did the install of my spec stage 3 (and flywheel) this weekend.. finished it today and took the car to dinner so we can start putting some miles on it.
My girlfriend actually drove it 1st, from our garage home and she said it was rough as hell on takeoff.. she just couldn't get it to go smooth for anything. When we drove it to dinner I was feeling the same thing... it's literally impossible to go from a stop in 1st (or reverse) without jerking all over the place.
Is this just the difference in the engagement point and we're not used to it? It's not bad anywhere else and there's really no chatter except when you're starting to move.
Another thing.. and this is what really worried me.. when we started the car earlier there was like.. a deep vibration at idle. Almost like I had the bass cranked up and the whole car was bumping, that's what it sounded like too. What the HELL was that? Once I started moving it stopped.
If this stuff is normal that's going to help really quiet some of my fears.. right now I'm just nervous as hell.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had my Spec stage 3 for a few months now. Also put in a Mccloud master cylinder. I notice a difference in where it engaged over the stock ZO6 clutch was different. I had some chatter at first, but it went away soon after driving a little bit. Now it's as smooth as can be. The new master cylinder is metal and bolt to the fire wall and transmits a little more noise from the engine compartment than before. But that's about it......
Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Well the take off chatter is normal. I somehow am immune to it since the first time I ever drove it. ON the other hand my buddy tried and tried to drive it and kills it over and over. If he does get going it jerks like crazy. Not for me. I guess you just have to get use to it. As for the bass sound. That doesnt sound good at all. Who did the install? Sounds like something is messed up to cause a vibration like that.

EDIT: After 600 miles on the clutch it is almost rid of chatter. It gets better every 100 miles it seems. I havent dumped mine yet besides from around 15-2000. It grabs great with NO vibrations.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
I know people ask this stuff a million times but it's really bugging me. I just did the install of my spec stage 3 (and flywheel) this weekend.. finished it today and took the car to dinner so we can start putting some miles on it.
My girlfriend actually drove it 1st, from our garage home and she said it was rough as hell on takeoff.. she just couldn't get it to go smooth for anything. When we drove it to dinner I was feeling the same thing... it's literally impossible to go from a stop in 1st (or reverse) without jerking all over the place.
Is this just the difference in the engagement point and we're not used to it? It's not bad anywhere else and there's really no chatter except when you're starting to move.
Another thing.. and this is what really worried me.. when we started the car earlier there was like.. a deep vibration at idle. Almost like I had the bass cranked up and the whole car was bumping, that's what it sounded like too. What the HELL was that? Once I started moving it stopped.
If this stuff is normal that's going to help really quiet some of my fears.. right now I'm just nervous as hell.

The jerkiness is "normal" for the break-in period. Just make sure your RPMS are at 1500 when you go from a stop in 1st gear.

I JUST finished my install for the THIRD time w/ the spec 3 and billet steel flywheel (now back to Spec3 and stock flywheel). I had a horrrrrrible rotational vibration. removing the flywheel solved most of it, some is still there and now i am in the process of taking the pressure plate out and replacing it ALL w/ the Z06 setup. Translation: Get the stuff balanced and you'll be fine. I just don't feel like messing with this ANYMORE (hence the GM parts). IT seems that people recommend getting the unit ZERO/NEUTRAL balanced to solve these issues.

Hope this helps some.

- Jeff