Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6-5th downshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-5th downshift

Ever since i got my Z28 ('98) Iv had a problem with it going from 6-5th downshifting. 4-5th is fine but downshifting it hardly ever wants to go in. Anyone have a problem like this or know what it could be? I just had my tranny reuilt with all new gears and all the performance goodies but it still has the problem. Any ideas?

-Kyle
98Z28_SS
Old 05-03-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be waiting for replys also because I'm having the same problem.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was any of the 5-6th stuff replaced?

5th and 6th gear are pretty much like the first 4 ( has a shift fork, synchro assembley, and individual speed gears, but the driven gears are one cluster on the mainshaft) except they are in the extension housing. It could be a number of things. Worn shift fork pads ( the shift fork it self is steel) , broken synchro keys, engagement teeth worn on 5th gear, synchro hub worn. Hard to tell without more info or taking a look in the extension housing. The plus about 5th-6th are that you would most likely not have to tear into the main housing.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Teching In

The tranny shop did a performance build up on it and replaced practically everything, i know it has all new gears, shift fork/pads, carbon fiber rings ect. I called the shop yesterday and they are going to take a look at it but he thinks the slave cylender needs to be re-bled? Its had this problem since before the rebuild and reverse has also been touchy too. I guess ill find out friday, Ill keep everyone posted.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Default 6-5th downshift

My 98 T/A has this same problem. I can shift from 4th to 5th no problem and if I try to downshift from 6th to 5th it will not go. Every other combination works. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the reverse crash gate that keeps you from shifting into reverse when going over 5mph. Any information would be greatly appreciated