Racer's Lounge - Satellite DSL?

View Full Version : Satellite DSL?

calys968
05-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Does anybody have DSL through a satellite? How does it compare to regular DSL?

Thanks!

Mike94ZLT1
05-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks of Angelina Jolie when they hear DSL instead of internet?

Daley
05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
I don't have a whole lot of experience with satellite DSL, but the little I do have is that a client of mine had it and got rid of it just as fast - it sucked. Add to that the fact that it's EXPENSIVE and unreliable. Picking order (in residential) usually goes from cable to DSL to dial-up. Lately there's been talk of some big wireless thing happening in your area, but I don't live there, so I haven't really kept up on it. Would this be for home or biz?

2K2WS6TA
05-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Well it's better than dial up (marginally) it's expensive (IIRC It was $100/month in my area :eek: (that was several years ago, dunno if its come down any) for surfing the net it's ok, but if you want to play any online games, forget it, if you get a heavy rain/snow, you won't have a connection
Satellite internet is basically the last resort for hi speed internet, I seriously considered it as all I could get from a dial up connection was 14,400 (talk about slow) thank God the cable company finally offered cable internet :D . If anything else is offered in your area forget the satellite net, and use the other option.
BTW several friends had it and dropped it like a hot rock when the cable internet finally got out to them

Silver6sp
05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
i have to agree with the above, and the angelina jolie statement, satellite dsl is fast but it cost $$$ compared to phone line dsl, you have the same problems has satellite tv, the only thing i think it is good for is traveling very often needing internet or living miles from civilization

Camaroz
05-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Don't waste your money on that shit try and get Cable or DSL Cali... isnt that normally SBC Area? i would check SBC or whoever your provider is or Cable (i prefer cable over dsl for alot of reasons) :)

EvilTA
05-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Satellite is just gay..i changed to digital cabl..way better!!!!!!!!1

02-4.8
05-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Satellite internet just flat out blows.

calys968
05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses. My aunt just moved to a house that's out of town and she can't get regular DSL or cable. She asked me to find out about satellite DSL so I'll let her know what you all said and and she can decide if she wants a dial-up connection or satellite DSL.
I think I remember a commercial about high speed dial-up access... does anyone know anything about that?

Cerebrex
05-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah it sucks ass. Big ol' fat juicy ass that just got done a' poopin'.

infinitebird
05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
She asked me to find out about satellite DSL so I'll let her know what you all said and and she can decide if she wants a dial-up connection or satellite DSL.
High speed satellite would still be better than dialup, it just sucks compared to regular cable/dsl.

2K2WS6TA
05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
If DSL or Cable isn't available has she look to see if there is a wireless internet provider (I can't believe I can get wireless internet in hicksville kansas, and it wouldn't be available in california)

forty4
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Definetly check out wireless "DSL". Its more like a very spread out wireless 802.11g network except they beam it directly to your house. Its pretty fast at least mine is, but still cable and dsl is faster.

goshawk23
05-02-2005, 10:31 PM
while most people say sat internet blows, it really isn't that bad. i have it cause thats the only thing i can get where i live. it is expensive....flat out. but my speeds are always up above a 1000kbps. ok, so it might not be as fast as dsl or cable. but that is pretty damn fast comming from dial up. the only gripe i have about it is the upload speeds. they are less than desireable.