Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch upgrade info/tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch upgrade info/tips

I have a 99 with about 50,xxx mi.
Im thinking about the spec 3(maybe F option) with billet steel flywheel. The kit comes with a new throw out bearing and alignment tool.
Im also planning on also getting the 01-02 slave and doing the drill mod at the time of install

Is a newer adj. master neccessary? I was thinking about just leaving the stock on and seeing how it works out, then if I run into problems, fix it.

whats the best method to stop the flywheel from turing while unbolting/bolting?

I have been reading up on the install and on the install university and when they put the slave/throw out bearing on they have to add shims, and they opt to leave out the spring, please explain this part.
I guess you have to guess and check shims by reinstalling the tranny/DS and testing out the engagment
any tips/advice on this part to make it easier?

Thanks for your time
Kenny
Old 05-02-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

You might not need a new master but I would suggest it. A new one from the dealership is less than 200 bucks and it comes pre bled so you don't have to mess with it. It was worth it for me to get a new one just for piece of mind since I already had the car apart. I would also recommend changing the pilot bearing as well. A new one is only about 10 bucks. To stop the flywheel from turning while torquing the bolts you can just have a friend hold the crank bolt with a ratchet.

As far the the throwout bearing goes, I have never heard of anyone leaving the spring out. I would think that is an essential part of the slave since that is what is pushing on the pressure plate. Your new throwout bearing will just pop right on the slave.

I just recently installed a spec 3 with a fidanza aluminum flywheel. I replaced the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and went ahead and bought a new master. I did NOT use the spacer that spec supplied and my clutch engages and disengages perfectly. I have heard some cars need it and some don't. Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info!

where is the pilot bearing located, any specific install stuff for swaping it?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read somewhere the shim is for making up the diff when you get the original flywheel resurfaced. As far as the master most people seem to keep them they seem to work just fine with the spec clutches. Man I need a new clutch soon...more tips and info please..
Old 05-02-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

The pilot bearing is in the end of the crank snout. You will need a pilot bearing removal tool, and also a slide hammer. I rented both from autozone. I had to grind down the arms of the tool to make it work with our pilot bearings. I have read, however, that harbor freight makes a pilot bearing removal tool that does not require modification to make it work.

As far as the spacer goes, I am not really sure. I have heard some people need it and some people don't. I didn't use it and my car is fine. That may be due to the fact that I got a new flywheel, and not a resurfaced stocker.

Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2005, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

sounds good! thanks for the info again