Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise in back when turning... brakes? differential? lsd additive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise in back when turning... brakes? differential? lsd additive?

this is on a 96 camaro with a 10bolt and a zexel with 342's and stock disk brakes.

when i make a hard turn, i can sometimes hear a metal on metal sound. its a metallic grinding. at first i almost thought it was the caliper or rotor grinding on something ... i still think that could be it. it seems to be coming from the left side. I was worried though that it could be the differential? Is this even possible? I took the axle shafts out to do my brake install, and i dont even know what i couold have done wrong putting them back in. I didnt use lsd addative, just the oil. anyone think there is any possibility it could be the diff? ease my mind.

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...;f=23;t=000098

this is the only other post i found on the topic... not too much help.

or how bout this... it is sort of a high pitched metallic noise.... i think its when i turn right i hear it on the left... does that make sense? i did start hearing it after the brake swap...
http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...;f=23;t=000098

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if it's a high pitched metallic sound than it's probably your caliper rubbing against your brake rotors. I had that problem on my old rear end because of some play on that side. Axle would move in and out a bit. Just a thought
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or this one?
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ght=noise+turn

so either get a bearing replaced? lsd additive needed? or its just the rotors rubbing on the caliper. I do have some chipping around the outer lip of the rotor...

keep in mind, this doesnt happen when im going slow, no matter how sharp i turn.

hmmm.... and im still talking to myself.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Teching In

I also have a similar issue, only mine comes from the right rear. I have asked the question before, and got the same reply as you. If you get anywhere, let me know.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like ur posi is going,or gone..
Old 05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I had thought that, will be taking it in to have the rear end rebuilt in the near future. Mine acts up mostly under hard turns at low speeds, sounds almost like something is binding or popping. Usually takes a while (3 or 4 miles) to start acting up. Still sound like posi? I am leaninng that way more and more. Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

posi seems fine. looks like its just the addative. i found a gm service bulliten that says sometimes if you dont add the gm lsd additive you will get what they called a "rusty screw" noise. sounds like it might be it. when i get home from school im going to try this.. see if theres any shavings in the differential... well see. the bulliten said there is no negative effect on the differential if you dont use the additive, just the noise.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

i put in some gm limited slip addative and new 80W 90 conventional oil. no more noise.

Quick Reply: Noise in back when turning... brakes? differential? lsd additive?