Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 install and remove

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 install and remove

anyone have any write-ups anywhere on how to remove and install the t56? preferably with pictures. thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 11:26 PM
wrencher

www.installuniversity.com
www.ls1howto.com
Old 05-03-2005, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

Not much to it. Take the shifter stick off,Remove the Y pipe(And unplug the 02's) I have a ORY so no need too,Take all the wiring off the tranny from the harness on both sides,undo the T arm bolt arm get a pry bar and let it hit the top of the tunnel,Disconnect the slave (Just get a screw driver flat head and press in the plastic retainer clip, undo the drive shaft 2 nuts on each side (Dont take it out of the tranny it will keep it sealed from spilling tranny fuild) Take out the 4 bolts holding up the cross member,take off the other 4 bolts holding the t 56 to the bellhousing and get ready to remove it. Its hard sometimes because of the dowell pins. Once that is done take the bolts off the bell housing and pry it off becuase most of the time the are on there. When I go back together I use neversieze on the dowells so there easy to take off if I ever have to do it again. Really isnt so bad. I did mine in about 45 mins to remove it. And about 1hr 30 mins to put it back with the new clutch. With a lift,air tools and help to help remove the heavy tranny.