Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

First welder suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First welder suggestions?

i did search but couldnt really find wht i was lookin for. so what do u ppl think would be a nice, decent first welder?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Maybe we could get answers in the "Harbor Freight chepo" vs. "Hobart entry-level" context? Most of us see the cheap welders there and think, hey I could do that ...
Old 05-04-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First decide what you intend to do with it. Then you'll know what you need.

If you only plan to fix mower bodies and putz around the shop then a cheap mig welder from your local farm store or Home Depot is fine.

If you have big plans that required extreme welding (gorgeous welds, exotic metals, expensive products, weldments in life-threatening circumstances) then a much better (expensive) welder and perhaps some classes would be in order.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not an expert welder but I do have quite a bit of sperence..... I'd suggest spending a little bit more on a quality machine and let you abality catch up rather than exceeding the capabilites of a bargan peice.I could not agree more with Mr Incredible about the life threatening welds Youc ould compare this to seat belts or helmets.. you get what you pay for.Lincoln 220 migs are pretty nice I think the SP175 I could be worng on that model number I'll have to look into it...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

I went with the Lincoln ProMIG 135 from Lowes. I get a supplier discount there as well as GM and picked up my welder for about $400 ready to go with gas attachments.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

basically a decent one to learn on, light fabrication (no structural car work) and at most weld some exhaust stuff up.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

If you get a MIG, get one that is 220v. I know 110v is the most convient for most people without a shop but the adjustments on a 220v Mig are finer and more versital than on any, but the most expensive 110v models
Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

What about an inexpensive stick welder?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lincoln Pro Mig 135 is a great starter welder and perfect for what you are wanting to do. Plus it isnt all that expensive.

Be prepared though once you get some time with the welder you will realize all the stuff you can do easily and you will be looking to upgrade.

I am looking for a good tig machine mow but I will keep the Mig for ease of use and for times when a tig just isnt practical or necessary.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
What about an inexpensive stick welder?
Funny you should ask.

I recently bought a new welder for Harbor Freight. I had been hearing about this TIG welder they had for a couple of months, and I checked it out with the guys on various welding forums/newsgroups. Their opinions were that it was about the best thing to come out of China since, General Tso's Chicken.

I have a Lincoln Buzz Box (220v AC stick welder) and a Lincoln Mig. I already have gas regulator, and gas bottles for use with the Mig, so I am set for the new Tig. Now here is the best part, This Tig comes with an ARC welding holder also. You can TIG weld to 130 AMPS or ARC (stick) weld to 90 AMPS. Now before anyone shakes their head and says only 90 AMPS, they need to know that this is 90 AMPS DC not AC. With DC you get a lot better penetration and better welds on steel etc.

Harbor Freight has them on sale for $199.00. (Make sure you print the page off from their Internet site to get the sale price at one of their stores). A Lincoln AC stick welder will run you at least $220 plus. One with DC will be a heck of a lot more than that. The advantages of the Lincoln AC welder is that you can weld all day with it as it is a production type welder. As for the Mig welders, Migs are also more for production of a lot of welds. You can do anything with this Tig that a non-professional welder needs to do.

I used to take my Mig (the stick welder was too big) off-roading with a gas powered generator, just in case. Repair with the Mig in the wilderness were make-shift to say the least, as they were light and you had to keep adding layers. I tested out my new TIG using it as a DC stick welder, with the generator the other day. I used 1/8-in, 6011 rods on an old rusty boat trailer, that had been used in salt water, and the welds were some of the best I have done in a long time. This is what is going off-road from now on with me, as it is a really small unit, smaller than my Mig in size

It is fairly easy to learn to stick weld, Most guys turn up the power and burn away. As they get better the turn down the amps and refine their skill. With this Tig welder you can learn to stick weld as DC stick welding is a little easier, then later on you can get a regulator and some gas and weld aluminum etc.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Diamond Jim

Funny you should ask.

I recently bought a new welder for Harbor Freight. I had been hearing about this TIG welder they had for a couple of months, and I checked it out with the guys on various welding forums/newsgroups. Their opinions were that it was about the best thing to come out of China since, General Tso's Chicken.

I have a Lincoln Buzz Box (220v AC stick welder) and a Lincoln Mig. I already have gas regulator, and gas bottles for use with the Mig, so I am set for the new Tig. Now here is the best part, This Tig comes with an ARC welding holder also. You can TIG weld to 130 AMPS or ARC (stick) weld to 90 AMPS. Now before anyone shakes their head and says only 90 AMPS, they need to know that this is 90 AMPS DC not AC. With DC you get a lot better penetration and better welds on steel etc.

Harbor Freight has them on sale for $199.00. (Make sure you print the page off from their Internet site to get the sale price at one of their stores). A Lincoln AC stick welder will run you at least $220 plus. One with DC will be a heck of a lot more than that. The advantages of the Lincoln AC welder is that you can weld all day with it as it is a production type welder. As for the Mig welders, Migs are also more for production of a lot of welds. You can do anything with this Tig that a non-professional welder needs to do.

I used to take my Mig (the stick welder was too big) off-roading with a gas powered generator, just in case. Repair with the Mig in the wilderness were make-shift to say the least, as they were light and you had to keep adding layers. I tested out my new TIG using it as a DC stick welder, with the generator the other day. I used 1/8-in, 6011 rods on an old rusty boat trailer, that had been used in salt water, and the welds were some of the best I have done in a long time. This is what is going off-road from now on with me, as it is a really small unit, smaller than my Mig in size

It is fairly easy to learn to stick weld, Most guys turn up the power and burn away. As they get better the turn down the amps and refine their skill. With this Tig welder you can learn to stick weld as DC stick welding is a little easier, then later on you can get a regulator and some gas and weld aluminum etc.
thanks for the info guys
Old 05-10-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

I own a body shop & do alot of sheet metal welding. I had this little hobart handler for about 8 yrs & that mig welder was only a 135 amp. It would weld some pretty thick metal but has a low duty cycle. I just bought a miller 175 amp & it is awsome, it is a 220v welder & has varible adjustments. I thought the hobart was pretty good, the miller is way better. But it was 750.00.
Figure out what you need first. And remember you get what you pay for.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by (JRracing 24
I own a body shop & do alot of sheet metal welding. I had this little hobart handler for about 8 yrs & that mig welder was only a 135 amp. It would weld some pretty thick metal but has a low duty cycle. I just bought a miller 175 amp & it is awsome, it is a 220v welder & has varible adjustments. I thought the hobart was pretty good, the miller is way better. But it was 750.00.
Figure out what you need first. And remember you get what you pay for.
well money is an issue and yea i knw but there are sometimes exceptions. jus gotta knw where to look.