Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec stage 2 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spec stage 2 vibration

all right guys i have about 300 miles on this clutch i used the stock flywheel but had it machined and installed a new slave my prob is i have a strange vibration that has just occured since the clutch install it is noticable but not extreme almost like chatter but it does it when the car is in neatural and rev the engine i drive on the highway exit off the highway stop and go to take off and it shakes the car to DEATH unless you rev the crap out out of it since driving it it seems to have gotten better but i am starting to worry a little you can feel in the clutch when releasing slowing the vibration what do you think it is thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Spec puts together a good clutch on paper but the manufacturing sucks. Dave the owner should fire the son of a bitch responsible for balancing. I have a stage 2 that was installed 2 years ago. I don't want to go through the complete horror show, but it took 3 installs and 1 complete replacement from Spec to get it right. Dave swore to me the replacement would be in balance but it wasn't. The ******* responsible for balancing has screwed up alot of peoples engines. I need to upgrade to like a stage 4 in the near future but I will pay a shop to make sure it is balanced correctly before the install. Spec cost me about $600 extra because of their lousey balancing.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

thanks for your info does anyone else have any input before i call spec and start bitching
Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

balancing probably wouldn't be a clutch manufacturer's fault, but your fault for not getting the stock flywheel balanced with the clutch assembly. i wouldn't worry bout it though - not many people do get it balanced.

it could also be your pressure plates backing out, i've heard that happens occaionally. i doubt that, though.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whose fault is it when you order a complete clutch package including flywheel from Spec and when you sit in the drivers seat it feels like a Magic Fingers vibrator? When you complain they reluctantly send you out a new PP and disk, that they guarantee has been balanced. After install still vibration. That set up has to come out and be balanced at a local machine shop. Wonder why I'm Bitter?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

At least I'm not the only one... Bought flywheel, clutch all together, way out of balance
Old 05-05-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a similar problem:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/316769-vibrating-shifter-when-letting-off-clutch-stop-after-spec-s3-alum-flywheel.html
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I JUST finished my install for the THIRD time w/ the spec 3 and billet steel flywheel (then back to Spec 3 and STOCK flywheel). I had a horrrrrrible rotational vibration. Removing the flywheel solved most of it, some was still there with the stock flywheel and Spec 3 disc, and now i am running with the Z06 clutch kit working flawlessly. SPEC seems to make a good product but their stuff seems to need some help from the end user/racer (i.e. they aren't plug-and-play, so to speak).

Translation: Get the stuff balanced and you'll probably be fine. I just don't feel like messing with this ANYMORE (hence the GM parts). It seems that people recommend getting the unit ZERO/NEUTRAL balanced to solve these issues.

Your pilot bearing is most likely destroyed, so you might as well order that part right now ($16 at GM). Also, I'd call SPEC and see what they tell you about balancing their product.

Hope this helps some.

- Jeff

Quick Reply: spec stage 2 vibration