PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does it mean when your car surges at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:57 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what does it mean when your car surges at idle?

my car surges at idle.... bucks at moving idle and when i come to a stop it surges and dies... when i let off the gas the rpms slowly go down.

what do i do?

this is a mail order tune.

tyler
Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

How long do you let it idle before driving? Mine sometimes takes 30seconds or more to get to idle smooth-ish, if i dont let it do that and drive it will surge and die... but thats if i start and a few seconds later drive..

I'd really suggest a wideband tune, mail order is good, but you cant beat having the a/f dead on etc...
Old 05-04-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple solution is to check for a vacuum leak

Otherwise could be the tune, big cams can take time to dial in ... my car idles great now (236/242) but took a while to get it to do so
Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brandon
How long do you let it idle before driving? Mine sometimes takes 30seconds or more to get to idle smooth-ish, if i dont let it do that and drive it will surge and die... but thats if i start and a few seconds later drive..

I'd really suggest a wideband tune, mail order is good, but you cant beat having the a/f dead on etc...

A properly tuned car shouldnt die if started and immediately driven. I run an F14 and can start it up cold or hot and drive instantly. The key to idle is in the iac tables, and the more I hear about it, the $350 tunes around here just arent worth what you get. I've looked at tunes from a 'reputable' tuner and he doesnt touch those tables. But, I guess im straying off the topic here.

Ty: If you are having to shell out some decent cash to tune the car, think about getting HPTuners and do it yourself. I knew nothing going into this 4 months ago, but I guarantee you that most shops in 3 hours can't do what you would be capable of doing if you owned the equipment.

Sorry for the rambling. Jeff
Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

didnt even think about a leak... doh.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jpolser
A properly tuned car shouldnt die if started and immediately driven. I run an F14 and can start it up cold or hot and drive instantly. The key to idle is in the iac tables, and the more I hear about it, the $350 tunes around here just arent worth what you get. I've looked at tunes from a 'reputable' tuner and he doesnt touch those tables. But, I guess im straying off the topic here.

Ty: If you are having to shell out some decent cash to tune the car, think about getting HPTuners and do it yourself. I knew nothing going into this 4 months ago, but I guarantee you that most shops in 3 hours can't do what you would be capable of doing if you owned the equipment.

Sorry for the rambling. Jeff
I know that I need some of the tables adjusted, wish I could get hptuners, but I dont have a laptop either...
Allan said the idle air flow should be adjusted too. the Idle air solenoid can be picked with aswell.

Quick Reply: what does it mean when your car surges at idle?