Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt specs....trying to pick a 12 bolt for my car...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 bolt specs....trying to pick a 12 bolt for my car...help

i dont really understand the terms used in the specs and description of rear ends. ive heard spline, spool, pinion yoke, etc. ive built my motor up all i want to, so my next move is a 12 bolt rear. can someone help me understand what these terms refer to, and maybe help me pick out a good 12 bolt for my car...??? i have an 02 z28. it will be my daily driver for a good while. i may take it to the track once or twice a month, but it will mainly be a street car. thanks for the help
Old 05-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Teching In

we'll need to know if you have traction control, what factory gears you have. those are the main things...you can get other options that dont really matter too much from there. you'll need to know which carrier you have...a 2 series for 2.73 or a 3 series for 3.23 or .42.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

i do have traction control (asr) and i have 3.42 gears. i didnt think what carrier or gears i have would matter cuz the 12 bolt comes with a new carrier and gears right?? well, anyway, there are my stock specs
Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 AM
wrencher

Then your gonna be looking for a 4 channel 12 bolt.
I'd recommend a strange, but they take time. Moser has them usually in stock, less demand. Strange is gonna need your axles & backing plates to build you rear. It will come with all the stuff you where questioning. A few options, a gear ratio of course, if different you'll have to get the PCM updated/tuned to the new gear ratio. If your driving on the street I say go w/ the heavy duty posi (standard strange) & not opt for a spool. A spool is a solid link from the ring gear to both axles. Not easy on a street driven rear. I say call billingsley, they can build you a ready to install one, w/o your parts pretty sure there the only ones.