Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Think I grinded third, might have a problem

Old 05-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I grinded third, might have a problem

Yesterday I was acclerating next to a friend just shifting around 4500 rpms or so, well when I shifted my shift **** kinda rotated causing my hand to slip off so the shifter kinda popped in 3rd then back out. My car shook really bad and the low traction light came on. I pull off into a parking lot and everything seemed fine but later that night when I was leaving my house my i think my rear end was making a grinding/rattling noise that i have not heard before. It does it only for about a 1/2 mile of driving right after start up then it seems to go away. Anybody have any idea what this could be? any help appreciated...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Launching!

weird, never heard anything like that before
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 PM
wrencher

Man I'd say you have a problem, you need to put some medium stregth thread locker on your shift ****.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

ya thread locker or just tighten that thing real tight....sounds like you do have a problem though...i burnt my clutch up last year...does anything smell funny??
Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

ur prolly over reacting, these things can take a beating, i know that ive had things like this happen and u get a bit paraniod afterward, but if you dont see hear or smell anything real serious then id say ur fine.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bet u hit 1st gear instead of 3rd, just did a mishift, we all do it, not good on the pushrods, but otherwise u are fine
Old 05-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LiteEmUp
ur prolly over reacting, these things can take a beating, i know that ive had things like this happen and u get a bit paraniod afterward, but if you dont see hear or smell anything real serious then id say ur fine.
Problem is, i DO hear something serious, all my friends have heard the grinding noise also and usually when I hear something, they dont but now since they do it means its kinda loud. What throws me off is that it goes away after a few minutes of driving. Maybe its the exhaust loose or something, i have NO idea. I guess no one has ever heard of a problem like this before. Oh, and no its not my clutch, im on my second clutch, i know what it does and the smell it makes.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

When it was making the noise, i got under the car and pushed some things, turns out it was actually my exhaust banging against something, but its still wierd it goes away eventually.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think I grinded third, might have a problem