Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam do you reccomend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What cam do you reccomend?

hello guys is me again what cam do you reccomend for may car is allmost all stock besides borla exhaust and intake lid and bigger throle body and hypertech programmer what cam do you reccomend for me i don't want it where i can't drive it everyday but i want quite a bit of more power what do you think and about how much power will it give me my car is a 98 z28 convertible if that is any help

I attached a picture of my 2000 ws6 trans am i just sold can you belive i sold it for 8800 with 75000 miles just becaused i wanted a convertible
Attached Thumbnails What cam do you reccomend?-trans-am-1.jpg   What cam do you reccomend?-trans-am-2.jpg  
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

For JRP: http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=19550

Read this and pick a few cams you might like, then search around on here and see some results for them.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Do the bolt ons before you start thinking about a cam
Old 05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH BOY.

What transmission do you have?
Get an LS6 intake, longtube headers and either a good Y-pipe with cats or (my personal preference) sell the borla and get true duals.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hahahahahahaha!!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T-Rex is a nice mild cam that will perform well with stock manifolds, cats and exhaust. Dont worry about supporting mods like headers, and air lid, ported throttle body or exhaust as these are just snake oil and are a waste of money, unlike real useful mods like the tornado and electric supercharger. Because the T-Rex has so much low end torque you make sure you have 2.73 gears, if youre an m6, you might want to trade someone for lower gears. Also, running the the trex with stock pistons without valve reliefs will require you to mill the heads down .080. Your stock valvesprings are plenty for it. Since your car is a 98, you already have the best oil pump and timing chain, much better than the cheaply made newer components that are far more prone to failure. With milage these just get better. Once you remove the old cam, you will need to re-seat your lifters while the cam journals are empty. You do this by pushing down on each pushrod till you hear the lifter "drop" into place. And remember when putting your rockers back on after the cam swap, torque the 8mm bolts with a breaker bar till they get real tight and then start to spin freely, then back off a quarter turn. Stock tuning will put your a:f ratio right on the money, and with any luck, your gas milage should double.

Dude, do us a favor and read the cam guide please! Also, the search button is your lifeline to not getting your *** flamed. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Please refer to this thread, as it pretains to you:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/316140-rediculous.html
Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
T-Rex is a nice mild cam that will perform well with stock manifolds, cats and exhaust. Dont worry about supporting mods like headers, and air lid, ported throttle body or exhaust as these are just snake oil and are a waste of money, unlike real useful mods like the tornado and electric supercharger. Because the T-Rex has so much low end torque you make sure you have 2.73 gears, if youre an m6, you might want to trade someone for lower gears. Also, running the the trex with stock pistons without valve reliefs will require you to mill the heads down .080. Your stock valvesprings are plenty for it. Since your car is a 98, you already have the best oil pump and timing chain, much better than the cheaply made newer components that are far more prone to failure. With milage these just get better. Once you remove the old cam, you will need to re-seat your lifters while the cam journals are empty. You do this by pushing down on each pushrod till you hear the lifter "drop" into place. And remember when putting your rockers back on after the cam swap, torque the 8mm bolts with a breaker bar till they get real tight and then start to spin freely, then back off a quarter turn. Stock tuning will put your a:f ratio right on the money, and with any luck, your gas milage should double.

Dude, do us a favor and read the cam guide please! Also, the search button is your lifeline to not getting your *** flamed. Thank you.
OMG... LMFAO
Old 05-05-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Please refer to this thread, as it pretains to you:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316140

I thought about doing that Tranzor, but thought it would be a little mean. GuitsBoy surpassed that though
Old 05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
I thought about doing that Tranzor, but thought it would be a little mean. GuitsBoy surpassed that though
yeah he did... I especially like the part about the lifters dropping into place when you push down on the pushrods.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats just ******* wrong
Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Damn that was great ................but I wouldn't have done it.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know, Im sorry guys. Im waiting for the fun police to come knock down my door and drag me out of the office.

Noob.... I mean assassinz28, Nothing personal. Its just that the tech regulars see the "which cam" question many times a day, day after day, without fail. In most cases people ask about a specific setup and state specific goals. Your post offered no such useful information other than the fact your car was a convertable. You might as well ask "Which beer should I start drinking?". Anyway, I was just poking a little fun hoping to get a laugh out of the regulars here, sorry if it happened to be at your expense. No hard feelings, man. Not everyone is as big an ******* as I am
Old 05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

I know, Im sorry guys. Im waiting for the fun police to come knock down my door and drag me out of the office.

Noob.... I mean assassinz28, Nothing personal. Its just that the tech regulars see the "which cam" question many times a day, day after day, without fail. In most cases people ask about a specific setup and state specific goals. Your post offered no such useful information other than the fact your car was a convertable. You might as well ask "Which beer should I start drinking?". Anyway, I was just poking a little fun hoping to get a laugh out of the regulars here, sorry if it happened to be at your expense. No hard feelings, man. Not everyone is as big an ******* as I am
It was pretty good. You covered a lot of areas too!