Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cam ICL for 382/383

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Best cam ICL for 382/383

What would be the best cam ICL for a stroker 382/383???

From what I understand 346's seem to like 108 ICL (ie a 112+4*lsa)

How about a 108 lsa + 0 advance ???
What would that relate in terms of idle, vaccum etc??

If that doesn't make sense then how about a 112 + 0 advance?? and how would that affect an A4?

Why am I asking this?
Well In my boggled mind, I could never really justify the advance grind in the cam. Simply because I believe that a big cam requiring +4 advance, means to me that the same could be achieved with a smaller cam on +0 advance.
The theory that advance is needed to compensate for chain slack is boloni, especially with the super tight double rollers most modders run.

Thanks for any thought on this subject.

I just want to see if I need to re-valuate my train of thoughts.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, is this a sensitive issue or are all the gurus at the track????

Maybe it just doesn't make any sense and it is ignored
Old 05-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we take a slight power hit for running any advance at all. The only reason to do it is to get the power band down a little bit. I'd like to to get an adjustable timing set and try some experimentation, but I'm a little worried about running into P2V issues. My cam supposedly has only .065" P2V on stock heads. I'd really like to know what the intake closing is, but have gotten no cooperation from TSP on this so far.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engines that run under about 8,000 RPM typically like to have the cams advanced slightly. Anywhere from 2 - 4 degrees would be about right.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. Z.....

It's all just a juggling act. There is NO "ICL" position that will give you the best of both worlds (a bunch of top end power as well as strong numbers down low). ICL is simply another way to tailor the power curve to your individual tastes or needs (is it a road race application, drag race application, etc.) It has similar effects of going with a slightly larger cam or going with a slightly smaller cam. When you do either/or, you are not going to gain power across the entire curve....you will just be adding to the bottom or adding to the top.

It's just another tool which allows you to fine tune the camshaft you hopefully carefully researched which will allow you to place an emphasis on a particular part of your engine's power band (slightly "maximizing" or enhancing that part of your power curve).

Drop in your cam straight up and you are assured to see more top end HP and the ability to carry your power further past peak HP....albiet at the expense of low and midrange torque. If you were building a road race car where you come out of the corners at 3500-4000, that might not be a wise choice.

On the flip side, pop 4' advance in it and the car will come out of a corner harder but will not "hang on" as well upstairs, especially past the RPM your peak HP is produced at....shifting promptly becomes alot more necessary.

It's all just a give and take, although if you look at a particular RPM range you are trying to enhance (say 4K - 7K), there will only be ONE installed position that will give you the highest avg. TQ and avg. HP if you were to add the two figures together.

Hope this info helps clarify a few things....

Tony M.

PS....One of the reasons my 224 cammed 346 makes such good numbers upstairs is the fact I installed it close to straight up. Giving up a little TQ on the bottom was worth it to me because I was more concerned with power from 5-7K (more interested in drag racing than road racing currently), and I was looking for as much peak HP as I could get, and the ability to carry past peak with the small cam installed....BUT, being obviously concerned with not giving up alot of TQ down low and in the middle. I had the opportunity to move the cam around on an engine dyno during the development of the 205 H/C package, allowing me to chose which ICL seemed to put up the best overall numbers.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 05-08-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe a 382 will have enough low-end torque by itself, so no advance should be needed. I think alot of 346 owners go +4 to gain more low-end to make up for lack torque in the lower rpm's. It's deffinatlly the way to go on a street car. My 382 will be seeing more street time than track, so I still had a +2 put on my cam. A little more low-end torque never hurt anyone.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi Tony,

when advancing a cam you actually change the valve timings (VE),
What I'm curious about is let us say cam X on 112 +4, powerband sooner etc...
Now same cam X(B) but on 108+0 straight up.
Would that XB have the same reflection on the powerband range and power output?
Both of them having the same ICL, durations and lifts.

or does the lsa change that alltogether.

Thanks

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 05-08-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Hi Tony,

when advancing a cam you actually change the valve timings (VE),
What I'm curious about is let us say cam X on 112 +4, powerband sooner etc...
Now same cam X(B) but on 108+0 straight up.
Would that XB have the same reflection on the powerband range and power output?
Both of them having the same ICL, durations and lifts.

or does the lsa change that alltogether.

Thanks
Z, the way I look at it is, the 112+4 gives you a cam that "feels" like the 108 down low without the loss of driveability that is inevitable with a 108. Advancing does change VE's, but it dosen't effect them the way changing LSA does. Advancing won't change valve overlap, but LSA will.