Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3000gt goes down... Oh well.. he tried ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000gt goes down... Oh well.. he tried ;-)

Yesterday, on my way to drop off my car to get my STS installed, a tricked out black 3000gt (VR-4 badges missing) flies by me. I was doing about 70-80 mph. I could tell my car wanted one more go round before it sat in the shop getting operated on so I floored it. I finally caught up to this car at about 120 or so and then just kept walking him the longer I stayed on it. It wasn't a race in the respect that we never lined up and took off but just a nice to reminder of the heirarchy on the road. I'll give it to this 3000gt. He was definitely the fastest gt I've seen the road. I don't know what his mods were, but, in the end, it didn't really matter ;-)
Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Old Drag Racer

Good kill. I'm just wondering that since the VR-4 emblem was missing if, in fact, this could have been an SL? It's hard to tell if you're not really familiar with the 3/S platform.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Well, Yeah, it very well may have been an SL. I don't know much about the 3000gt, only know what I learned a couple years ago when I was looking to buy the VR-4. The VR-4 should be the only kind of GT to offer me any sort of resistance, right? But who knows, I don't. Maybe I didn't give them enough credit, but I think I gave them plenty.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Old Drag Racer

The VR-4 (AWD TT) is faster from a dead stop by a long shot vs an SL and noticeably faster from a roll. SL's generally trap 94-95 MPH with minor mods. Heck, minor mods are the only thing available for N/A 3/S's. A stock VR-4 would trap from 99-100, maybe 101 if a 1st gen and 102-103 if a stock 2nd gen. It's just that, from my experience, there aren't many stock TT 3/S's running around still. A stock one would have performed just as you stated in your encounter though so it may very well have been a stock VR-4. I was just curious if you noticed an SL badge on the back. If it was an SL, it was a particularly strong running one. Like I said before, good kill no matter which one it was. If you run into this car again once you get the STS installed, the driver is really going to be in for a shock.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah two of my buddies have 3/s's and they're definitely quick cars but the only place they really really shine is off the line. after that they're just too heavy to be a real threat. i'm pretty sure i met you down at the beach the other day. you're driving the red camaro with the CME right? i saw you race chris but i guess the outcome will be different once the STS is in. i'll have to check it out. nice car by the way.