Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot shaft mount roller problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot shaft mount roller problem

While tightening one of the small (1/4"?) bolts on the patriot shaft, the shaft split in half. It must have been a stress fracture in the shaft or something.

It looks like I can just take the rockers off if I have a new shaft? Since the motor was not even fired or even rotated, this has got to be warranty issue, right? I don't really want to return the whole set since I have one bank already installed.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try and tighten the shaft down without putting the cam on the base circle ? If you try to torque the shaft down and it's on the lobe you can easily break the shaft .
Old 05-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

They were installed by an ASE Master mechanic and race engine builder. They were installed with the valves closed, and actually snapped with no one even touching them.

It does get a little more interesting though... We took off the driver's side rollers, and as they were removing them, another shaft broke.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
They were installed by an ASE Master mechanic and race engine builder. They were installed with the valves closed, and actually snapped with no one even touching them.

It does get a little more interesting though... We took off the driver's side rollers, and as they were removing them, another shaft broke.
I'm installing these this week on my buddy's H&C vortech SC firehawk. I'll be extra carefull now
Old 05-08-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like typical Patriot R&D to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I spoke with Gunnar today -- they are going to replace both sets.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Those shaft mounts I believe are made by DRE. They are very similar to the ones Comp had offered for a while. I had a set and snapped one too. But I snapped mine due to being in a rush and I forgot to turn the motor over to get the cam on the base circle and I was using 1.550 springs with 200 lbs seat presure and 650 open. It snapped it like a twig. Those shafts are not that strong. But...if you are shure to install them correctly you should not have a problem. You must have the lifters riding the cam on the base circle COMPLETELY. DO each set of two at one time. Spin the motor over to get it on the base circle. Then as you are tightening....tighten evenly on all three bolts a little at a time. Or...back off the adjusting nut all the way out.