Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor needs rebuild...any advice on my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Motor needs rebuild...any advice on my options?

Mods are at the sig, and the car only dynoed about 345 at the wheels. I made several posts about it, but people would say that its a big stall, so it wont be a dyno queen. I am having my buddy install a cam and do more work on the car, and after pulling a few things off, we may have found out why the car never made much power. The lifters were shot. Then when the cam came out yesterday, it wasn't in good shape. Had burn marks on it and seemed to be scratched up. I wont be seling that anymore. The cam bearings(not sure if thats what they are called) are all scratched or burned or something, and seemed all crooked. This cam was obviously installed inproperly by the previous owner. I was told that to replace the cam bearings, you need to basicly tear the motor apart. And since thats being done, we might as tell tell the shop to install forged pistons and rods, and main bearings. I was quoted a price of about 2200 total for this.
Do you guys I should go that route, with the stock crank, or go with a Iron block and put pistons,rods, main bearings on that motor? I have absolute speed stage 2 5.7 heads, so im wondering how well those will flow with a 402. And I would probalby have to see if LG would take the G5x2 cam back(its still in the box unopened) and trade it for a stroker cam. Then probably have to get kooks headers with the larger primarys...Any advice. Im not sure which route to go.thanks

Last edited by Jimmy P; 05-07-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go Iorn block, but alum blocks have there advantages.. Its all in what you want.

If your stock block is ok i would use it for now. If it needs resleeved i would go with an Iorn block

As far as a G5X2 I praise lou for his cams... I have the X3 and want the X4

Hope this helps you
Old 05-08-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You have heads, cam and all that is needed, but need a block. LME or Lingenfelter IMO.
You can get a blueprinted Lingenfelter for $2095 I believe(+ exchange)

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_ce_350.htm
Old 05-08-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You have heads, cam and all that is needed, but need a block. LME or Lingenfelter IMO.
You can get a blueprinted Lingenfelter for $2095 I believe(+ exchange)

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_ce_350.htm
The block itself is ok, even the pistons are ok. But I guess I am leaning towards a stroker motor. If not, I could get mine rebuilt from a local shop that has done a lot of Ls1's. My buddy has went through him, and sprayes a 200 shot on it all the time wtih no problem , on a t-rex cam car.
I remember reading about a proven 402 iron block using eagle products for around $3000 from a sponsor here. This sponsor stated he is the only one that does a true blueprinting of every motor they build. I cant rememember who it was though. Anyone know which sponsors have a good priced/reliable iron block with eagle components in it. Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that was SLP block for like $3695 or something like that. But be aware that you are looking at close to $10.000.