Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Lost First Gear - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Lost First Gear - Help!!!

My 2000 Trans AM lost first gear last night? Any suggestions on possible cause?

The car has 32,000 miles. I'm running a 3,000 stall, 3.42 gears, some bolt ons including a 100 dry shot NOS system (but I've only used 3 bottles in the last year) and everything has been fine. Last night when I pulled off the interstate and up to the stop sign I could feel the transmission was not in first as I pulled away from the light. I pulled over and tried to start again and the same thing. I pulled the shifter manually back into first and tried again, but still the transmission is starting out in second gear. No unusual noises, burning smells, fluid is full. Filter and fluid was changed within 6,000 miles. When I first got my Predator tuner, I did move the shift points up a couple hundred RPM and increased the shift firmness a little but don't remember exactly how much.

Any suggestions appreciated before I reluctantly take the car into a transmission shop.

If they tell me I need a complete rebuild, any suggestions on upgrading the transmission to better handle the stall, ocassional burn out?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Teching In

No one ever replyed to this message, but it appears I fixed the problem. Several people on another board suggested I replace the shift solenoids (2) which I did. They cost $18 each, plus the pan gasket, filter and fluid.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

did it fix it?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Default Yes it appears to have fixed it

Yes it appears to have fixed it. Need to put a few more miles on it to be sure, but it seems fine.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flyer21
No one ever replyed to this message, but it appears I fixed the problem. Several people on another board suggested I replace the shift solenoids (2) which I did. They cost $18 each, plus the pan gasket, filter and fluid.
Bah.. I did see your message but thought it's a duplicate. I replied to one just like it very recently.. Here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/315504-i-have-no-1st-2nd-gear.html

I'm glad it all worked out.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Well the problem is back. Still occasionally starts in second gear? No check engine light, no codes read with my Predator programmer, no pending codes read with a Snap-On scanner. Have not had the car hooked up to a Snap-On scanner when it is actually starting in second gear because I can't get it to act up long enough for me to get it to a shop to have it scanned. It’s not going into limp mode, because it’s shifting into 4th gear and the TC is locking up. It just won’t go into first when it acts up. When I turn the car off for a while (the time varies) it works fine for a while, and that time and the conditions that cause it to malfunction vary too. I can see no particular pattern. I've read several posts from people who simply threw up their hands and gave up chasing the ghost and either sold the car, installed a complete new transmission or learned to live with problem until it finally quit altogether. I'm going to follow thru until I find out exactly what is causing the problem and fix it. At this point installing a complete new transmission would be crazy and I love this ride, so it has to be fixed. ALL suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by flyer21; 05-20-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flyer21
Well the problem is back. Still occasionally starts in second gear? No check engine light, no codes read with my Predator programmer, no pending codes read with a Snap-On scanner. Have not had the car hooked up to a Snap-On scanner when it is actually starting in second gear because I can't get it to act up long enough for me to get it to a shop to have it scanned. It’s not going into limp mode, because it’s shifting into 4th gear and the TC is locking up. It just won’t go into first when it acts up. When I turn the car off for a while (the time varies) it works fine for a while, and that time and the conditions that cause it to malfunction vary too. I can see no particular pattern. I've read several posts from people who simply threw up their hands and gave up chasing the ghost and either sold the car, installed a complete new transmission or learned to live with problem until it finally quit altogether. I'm going to follow thru until I find out exactly what is causing the problem and fix it. At this point installing a complete new transmission would be crazy and I love this ride, so it has to be fixed. ALL suggestions appreciated.
At thsi point it just sounds to me like your tranny is on the way out
Something overheats - you get the problem. The car stands and cools down for a bit - theres no problem.

At this point, my only suggestion would be to either have your tranny rebuilt by a shop you trust or get a brand new tranny from FLP or Rossler, if you decide you want to stick with the 4l60e
Old 05-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Before I go that route how about this? The next time this happens I'm going to again confirm the transmission isn't going into limp mode. If I have 4th gear and the TC is locking up, which I believe it is, then it's a first gear problem. Next I'm going to check the terminals at the transmission plug to confirm A and B terminals are grounded and terminal E is getting power. From what I'm reading this is the computer commnad for first gear. If not, this would indicate a computer problem which should throw a code, right? But there are no codes. Assuming the solenoids are energized. The problem is definetely in the transmission and I will then attempt to identify which component is breaking down. It's been suggested there may be trash in the solenoid passage way. But solenoid A is also the 3-4 shift solenoid and the beleive the 3-4 shift is working fine. Although a brand new transmission can fail, this car only has 32K on it and it has not been drive that hard. It should last longer than this. Appreciate the tip on FLP. I have talked to them and they sound like a good outfit. Hope I don't need them yet. Any other transmission experts please join in. Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Last edited by flyer21; 05-20-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Lost First Gear - Help!!!