Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a built tranny now ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got a built tranny now ????

I just had it built with the Probuilt limited street kit with vaccum modulation. Here's the link http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=22 as far as whats in the kit. My 1-2 shift has a nice jerk to it I could at part throttle I could understand at WOT but not part throttle. Also when the tranny goes to lock the converter its pretty hard/snappy with no delay. Its more noticeable when hit your tap the breaks and you feel a jerk from the converter locking up again like another gear shift. Do I have anything to worry about or is that how built trannies are suppose to be? I want to start spraying again but I don't want to mess up the tranny if something is wrong.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The part throttle hard shift is probably caused by too many of the washers in the 1-2 accumulator.
Just take the pan off and the three bolts for the accumulator housing and remove washers. I've come to believe from what people have been saying, that they think these washers are the shift kit.
They only make part throttle shifts annoying and slightly speed up high throttle shifts.

The converter operation sounds about right, it helps to eliminate the lock up in third and program it to lock up at a higher mph.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told that the shift kit only has one washer and the converter locking up in third is programed by edit.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told that the shift kit only has one washer
Then take it out. BTW what servo are you using?

and the converter locking up in third is programed by edit.
It's programmed to lock in third stock also.
They may have made it stay locked through the 3-4 shift which would make a hard 3-4 shift and eventually kill a converter thats not designed for that type of operation.
The kit converts it to non pwm lock up, so instead of pulsing the converter apply it just applies it with one shot.

I have the kit and have dealt with these issues. If you don't like it have it programmed to lock up at a higher mph and only in fourth. Thats what I did and it works fine for me.
Just my opinion a performance trans should shift firm, tcc is really another shift so thats included.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
If you don't like it have it programmed to lock up at a higher mph and only in fourth. Thats what I did and it works fine for me.
Just my opinion a performance trans should shift firm, tcc is really another shift so thats included.
Did the same here and I like how it works. Lock-up functions like a fifth gear.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then take it out. BTW what servo are you using?
The one washer is what Dana at Probuilt recommended for the kit and as far as the servo I thinkits the stock servos. Dana said that the 01-02 4L60Es had corvette servos.

It's programmed to lock in third stock also.
They may have made it stay locked through the 3-4 shift which would make a hard 3-4 shift and eventually kill a converter thats not designed for that type of operation.
The kit converts it to non pwm lock up, so instead of pulsing the converter apply it just applies it with one shot.

I have the kit and have dealt with these issues. If you don't like it have it programmed to lock up at a higher mph and only in fourth. Thats what I did and it works fine for me.
At WOT I have the lockup in 3rd, I was told by Jack at PI that it would pick up a little ET and MPH in the 1/4. It locks up 40-45 MPH at part throttle for normal driving. The car shift pretty quick and snappy, I think thats great and I like it. I really don't mind the way it shifts I just want to make sure that its normal. The car drives much better than it did before it feels like its tighter and I don't have to ride around in 3rd all the time because of the 3600 stall. I will play with the TTC lock up in edit to get rid of the jerking lock ups. As far as the stall I'm going to trade my stall in on a multi disc 3600-3800 stall so maybe I can get more out of my nitrous.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
I was told that the shift kit only has one washer and the converter locking up in third is programed by edit.
So then the car has been custom tuned after the trans was built??
Old 05-09-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I put the stock tune back in it some what except for the TM. I put my line pressure back to tsock and adjusted my shift points a little more towards stock.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

i would recommend having it custom tuned well, makes a huge difference even in a mild bolt-on car....JMO
Old 05-11-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'about to start the H/C swap in about 2 weeks that why I want to get a grip on the tranny now.

Quick Reply: Just got a built tranny now ????