Sponsored by:

Movin' to the D.C. Area - Need Engine Expert

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Movin' to the D.C. Area - Need Engine Expert

All--

I'm in the process of moving from my USAF assignment in Georgia to a duty location in the Metro D.C./Virginia area (Alexandria).

My 'Vette apparently has chosen this time to throw a fit and I'm having oil/engine issues. (See post following this one.)

As a newbie to the D.C. area, I have no idea who might be a good engine tuner/builder in the region.

Any of you guys/gals know of one that's a reasonable distance from my new digs?

Based upon what I describe in the web link (above), any ideas on what may be the problem for my engine?

Also, any suggested 'Vette clubs?

THANKS!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.k.

Since coming back from a DE school @ Sebring, FL last weekend (see www.viperdays.com), I've experienced oil going through my throttle body, through the coupler and into the air bridge.

I've also noticed that oil seems to have leaked from somewhere onto the right side of my engine block in front of the valve cover. Coincidentally, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve is located right above that point.

All temps and oil pressures are normal. However, when I "get on it" (i.e., oil pressures above 40 PSI and esp above 50 PSI; downshifting with high revs into third gear), I get some black smoke out the tail pipes with occasional massive amounts of white smoke coming off the right side of the car (esp. when cornering hard to the left or braking hard.)

I've used-up/burned 2.5 qts of oil since that DE event.

Some 'Vette minds thought that it might be a seal or gasket. But with the oil going through the throttle body and into the air intake, the thought then became a bad PCV valve.

So, I replaced the PCV valve. An easy thing...low cost (~$6) too. It did not fix the problem.

Had it up on a lift earlier this week and changed the oil (Amsoil this time instead of Mobil1 :greengrin ... didn't see any leaks. No drips get on the ground when it's parked.

My thought was that oil was/is pooling somewhere (not visible) and then squirting/flowing/dumping onto the exhaust/headers when performing hard maneuvers. Again, all operating parameters are normal and it drives fine.

Yesterday (Saturday), I had a 'Vette mechanic friend down in Macon, GA (near where I live) check it out. He does good work, but has no lift to get it up in the air. (Works out of his garage...great service for the on-site capabilities.)

We did some simple checks:

- Took the oil cap off and started the car up. It puffs out smoke. He, along with my engine mods installer @ South GA Corvette in Thomasville, GA says it looks like a busted piston or related parts. A call to Paul Smith of MTI Racing (Atlanta, GA) backs this possibility up. Paul, says they'll get to the bottom of things when I bring it up as scheduled on Wednesday. (I already have my square on the white board.)

- We also pulled the plugs (Bosch Platinums). #2 was very fouled with oil. After cleaning it, one of the two electrodes looked bent in, as if something had hit it or it had been dropped.

- Did a compression check. #2 was @ 90 pounds; a check on #4 showed 190 pounds. More evidence for the piston/cylinder in #2 as the culprit. Of course the #2 piston/cylinder is in perfect position to upchuck some oil towards the air intake and throttle body.

- He followed me the 30 min back home...noticed I'm still kicking out some black smoke from the tail pipes, esp. when I took a hard left turn.

Barring a complete, tear-the-engine-apart diagnosis from the crew @ MTI Racing, whattaya think about all this?

- Am I looking at just a piston job?

- Do you think I'll have to replace the whole short block? If so, what with? A LS6 short block off of eBay? The setup offered by SLP Performance Parts (see http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12412 )?

Ugh.