Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is nitrous illegal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is nitrous illegal...

to use on the street? How is different than any other power adder that makes it illegal to use on the street?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

because using it usually implies racing.
nitrous isn't illegal... using it on the street is.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why isn't a twin turbo?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know if nitrous is illegal, there's been alot of discussions on this subject. We researched the laws here in Texas and couldn't find anything about it other than if you are transporting it the vehicle is supposed to have a hazardous chemical warning placard on the outside of it. I've had the police stick their heads in my car and see the twin bottles mounted on the floor where teh passenger seat used to be and not say a word about it. You can ask most cops about it and get different answers from everone of them.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:52 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some links I found four months ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....51&postcount=4
Old 05-10-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nitrous is not illegal in every state.

in NH its perfectly legal!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Nitrous is a safety hazzard to be transporting, the whole bottle being pressurized to over 1000lbs doesnt sit well with me in an accident. Have you ever seen the trunk of a car after the bottle explodes? It is one F'n mess. I say just be creating in mounting your bottle and dont worry about it though
Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Nitrous is not illegal in every state.

in NH its perfectly legal!!!
To bad the ******* cops don't know that. Got nailed for a no front plate last fall, cop saw the bottle and called for help. 2 staties and one other Gilford cop held me up for 15-20 minutes while looking through their hand booklets. I got pissed and started yelling to them that their not going to ******* find anything. After another 5 minutes of explaining things he appollogized and said they where ignorant on the subject. I agreed, went my way, an finally decided to run a front plate. I just had to get one worth putting on the front.

And yes guys, I do find it rediculous that these law makers in certain states make nitrous illigal on the street yet you can have a blower sticking out of your hood and that's ok.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well street racing is illegal and the last time i checked you dont turn the bottles on for a trip to the grocery store
Old 05-10-2005, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

You must be checking with the wrong people. I open my bottle for a two minute ride down the road. I rarely street race but I still use about 15lbs of nitrous on the street every week.

What they don't understand is bottle or no bottle people will still street race. Maybe they will just ban all sports cars from public roads. If you have a sports car your more likley to break the law, right?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:17 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
You must be checking with the wrong people. I open my bottle for a two minute ride down the road. I rarely street race but I still use about 15lbs of nitrous on the street every week.

What they don't understand is bottle or no bottle people will still street race. Maybe they will just ban all sports cars from public roads. If you have a sports car your more likley to break the law, right?
If they did that, motorcycles would probably be next...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Teching In

My '91 Marquis has held it's own against some trucks... Sports cars might not be the only ones racin',, look at all the Uncle Ben's bumpin down the streets...

Merrick
Old 05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

here in va it's legal to have at least 2 bottles in the car anymore and you need a hazard liscence. but if the feed line is hooked up it's illegal.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

yea but unless they get technical and actually know about the stuff. how would they know if its on or not. and why would it matter? i have two large bottles in the window that anyone behind me can see. i drive the car alot on the street and never once had a problem so far. ive talked to local cops and they said they would never go out of their way to bust someone for that. he said "if the person is speeding then they are speeding regardless of how they achieved that speed."
Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone know the laws for ohio?

I thought i heard that as long as its closed, your fine (in general, not just ohio)
Old 05-10-2005, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

I've heard three legitimate arguments against legalizing nitrous oxide use in vehicles.

1.) It's like the whole "saturday night special" pistol ordeal. It's way cheaper than other power adders, so just about anybody can get their hands on it. Including a lot more people that may not be responsible enough to use it responsibly.

2.) Transportation of any gas under high pressure is a risk, period. But then again, so is transporting gas.

3.) The reason forced induction is ok, but nitrous is not really centers around how fast the extra power comes on. Forced induction is proportional and easier to control.

I personally can't discount number 4 either....

Public perception

Given the facts above, will I still use it. Absolutely! Life is boring as hell if you remove all the risk from it.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68maro
here in va it's legal to have at least 2 bottles in the car anymore and you need a hazard liscence. but if the feed line is hooked up it's illegal.
your right, a friend of mine was cought for having nitrous in his TA. He had to go to court over it, but the judge had no idea what nitrous was, and what it is used for so they dismissed the case. I always say hide your kit. Plus i dont want anyone knowing what i have..including the cops
Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

I think the only reason ive heard nitrous is illegal is because it is transporting a hazardous substance.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
I think the only reason ive heard nitrous is illegal is because it is transporting a hazardous substance.
Nitrous is not a hazardoud substance. It is a class 2.2 (non-flamable, non-toxic, compressed gas) Oxidizer. It is not flammable and not explosive. The problem that is debatable is how it is stored in the vehicle. A bottle that is not vented to the atmosphere could cause asphixiation or a state of unconciousness if it were to rupture in a closed enviroment such as the interior of an automobile. Turbos and SCs are driven by engine and cannot cause adverse effects to the driver if there is a malfunction. Nitrous bottles are also pressurized and could cause personal injury or even death in the event of a valve or bottle malfunction or rupture caused by an accident (crash)
Old 05-14-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

my $0.02.........

a mounted N2O bottle vs. a 2000 PSI Acetylene bottle tossed in the back of a truck.....which is more dangerous?

Quick Reply: Why is nitrous illegal...