Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear info needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear info needed

ok long story short I have a 98 4 channel 6 speed z28, I destroyed pretty much the whole center chunk on my 10 bolt (posi,gears etc)
I need to get it on the road to drive until I can save for my moser.

A guy I know has a wrecked 95 z28,(axle is messed up) but all I need is the center "chunk"..... can this bolt into my housing without any fabrication?
All I would want to do is throw a 3.73 or 4.10 in there and the bolt in and drive it until I can put in my 9".

is this possible?is everything the same as what was in my 98? any info is greatly appreciated
Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Yes you can do that. If he has the same M6 you wont worry about being stuck with 3.23's. If you are going to do it all, might post in the wanted that you want the whole housing with gears loaded. I just installed one with 4.11's loaded already piad $550 shipped and sold the center section from my old one for $110. Took one day to take out and one day to install the whole thing.Whatever you do don't disconnect the brake lines! The TCS is a b!tch to bleed. Luckily I read that tip before the install and saved my self the headache. If you want pm me and I can give a few more tips if you need advice on the swap.
Good luck bro!!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ive also heard that different types of chevy vehicles have the same rear end, and some even have 4.10 factory gears and stuff.I believe I hear it was on the 4x4 blazers......would that center piece be useable on my rear?also were they posi or limited slip or anything?

thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

I don't know the exact level of what's interchangable between models. Maybe someone else could chime in. I wouldn't recommend taking the gears out if it's your first time messing with the carrier. You can get the whole loaded assembly minus axles for not much more $ than the rebuild parts and stuff. The housing is much easier to remove and install. As long as you have jackstands and some decent tools. Use only the F-body ones because all the mounting stuff is the same.