PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HPtuners, Quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New to HPtuners, Quick question.

I know this is prolly a stupid question but Ive been reading the tuning 101. Ive already scaned the VCM, & saved that info. Now I working on torque management. Its seems easy but when tuning is the car suppose to be running? I know when you read the VCM the key is suppose to be in the on position. I have messed with the LTFT's a bit but after everything get logged & you make your changes how do I get that to stay in the PCM? Does the key need to be in the on position for this also? Could someone please point me in the right direction. I searched both here & HPtuners forum and came up with nothing. also read all the help files the provide. Any help would be very usefull.

Thanks,
Vann
Old 05-10-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car needs to be in the run position to actually write or read the PCM, to use most of the PCM controls in the scanner, the car needs to be running, but some will work with it off (in run position)

This is also in the HPT manual.

To read PCM: Key in Run position , 10 seconds for a full PCM boot, then use flash to read it
To Write PCM: Key in run position, car off, 10 seconds for a full PCM boot, then use flash to write it.

If you try flashing or reading w/the car on it'll tell you you can't do it w/the car running (which makes sense... when you flash the PCM you're essentially erasing a portion of it first, then rewriting it... the car needs this portion to maintain an idle and to know when to add spark and fuel etc...)
Old 05-10-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

So basicly I go through make my adjustments then open up flash & write the VCM with the key in run position? I didnt receive any manual with my software. Just a disc & cable. Is there anyway to get step by step instructions form the very begining?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
So basicly I go through make my adjustments then open up flash & write the VCM with the key in run position? I didnt receive any manual with my software. Just a disc & cable. Is there anyway to get step by step instructions form the very begining?

sounds right

When any of hte HPT software is open press F1 , the manual is a windows help file.

Generally when I'm tuning, I'll have the car scanning... drive arolund a bit, then disconnect the scanner (via the software), make changes to my .bin file, then write the flash, then reconnect the scanner ...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

One more quick question under VCM Flash it says rewrite entire VCM or rewrite VIN/TUNERLOCK/VATS which one of these do I need to use? Im assuming the rewrite entire VCM but I really dont like guessing when it comes to stuff like this. Also after I pick on or the other does it give you the ability to pick which file you want to load into the VCM? Say for instance I wanted to go back stock & still have the stock file available. Could I pick it from my files & load it or how does that work? Im sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Vann
Old 05-11-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
One more quick question under VCM Flash it says rewrite entire VCM or rewrite VIN/TUNERLOCK/VATS which one of these do I need to use? Im assuming the rewrite entire VCM but I really dont like guessing when it comes to stuff like this. Also after I pick on or the other does it give you the ability to pick which file you want to load into the VCM? Say for instance I wanted to go back stock & still have the stock file available. Could I pick it from my files & load it or how does that work? Im sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Vann
Don't need to use either just go to file , Write VCM, select a .bin and you're set... the write entire VCM should only be used under certain situations (such as changing the OS of the PCM)... most people never need to use this
Old 05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Got it.. Thanks for all the help! Now its time to start tuning. Or try to anyway.
Later,
Vann