Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

LSx alternate fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx alternate fuel system

ok, first of all everybody put on your thinking caps, this one is going to be a bit on the odd side... let me bring you some what up to speed. i do small block, LTx and LSx conversions to Porsche cars. the latest is the LSx conversion to the 944, under normal circumstances this is working awesome and fits like a glove, but then there is california. we normally do the addition of a return line into the LSx fuel rail to accomodate the return fuel systems in the 944. in cali this cant be done as most of you know you must keep the returnless fuel system. well i made a nice little trip all the way to cali and talked face to face with a referee. i had an idea that i just had to run past him. i cant do the tank mod and install the f body in tank pump assembly into my porsche tank because of the shape or the tank and its also a plastic. so, here is my idea...
the referee told me that the tank and evap systems are not part of the conversion, they are part of the "chassis" so they can technically, legally stay in place. so i am thinking if i leave the return system, the high pressure pump and all that crap alone and install a return style fuel pressure regulator in the car and that will feed the LSx the 47 or what ever pounds that it requires and return the rest of the fuel back to the tank.... this eliminates the need for the fuel tank pressure sensor, in tank pump, and sender that wont work with my car anyway. the referee said as long as the check engine light is not on, there are no stored codes, and everything runs right, there is no problem. they are not supposed to look to see what is turned off in the programming, or anything like that, so if the fuel tank sensor is turned off and isnt there, they dont care as long as the lights not on. so a little feed back would be appreciated here, what do you guys think?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

That should work fine.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Default thanx for the opinion..

thanks man, it sure seems like it should work awesome, anybody else have any input???