Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Valve seals.. what's involved?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:16 PM
AVB
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace Valve seals.. what's involved?

Is this something that can be replaced fairly easily once I get the springs off?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, some pliers is all thats needed to remove them.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY easily. Once the springs are off you just pull on the valve seals with some pliers (or something similer), then replace with the new ones. I don't know what the difference is, but pay attention to whether the new ones are black or brown and get them on the right valve.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
VERY easily. Once the springs are off you just pull on the valve seals with some pliers (or something similer), then replace with the new ones. I don't know what the difference is, but pay attention to whether the new ones are black or brown and get them on the right valve.
I had posted a question asking if the valve seals are the same and someone told me they were. I called FMS because I just ordered a cam and upgrade kit and they informed me that the manufacturers at GM designed two seals (hense the black and brown) the brown withstand higher heat than the black seals because they are on the exhaust valve. If you order replacement seals, I would recomend getting all brown (higher heat threshold) seals. That's what I have.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are also two types of valve stem seals; the two piece and one piece. The one piece design has the seal built into the spring shim. I would stay away from that type.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVE THIS
I had posted a question asking if the valve seals are the same and someone told me they were. I called FMS because I just ordered a cam and upgrade kit and they informed me that the manufacturers at GM designed two seals (hense the black and brown) the brown withstand higher heat than the black seals because they are on the exhaust valve. If you order replacement seals, I would recomend getting all brown (higher heat threshold) seals. That's what I have.
Is that so? Interesting...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The PRC Kit that I just received had all brown seals in it...thats quite interesting though.

The install is smooth, make sure you have a way to hold the valves up when removing the springs. I used a deep 12mm 3/8" socket and a small ball-peen hammer to drive the new seals on...slightly lubed with fresh engine oil. No problems at all.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good info...

Old 06-05-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SideStep
Good info...

Yes it is... Brown = exhaust, black = intake, and make sure you dip them in oil before you slip them into position. Also, if you plan on getting AFR heads then you need thier "valve guide seals" because stockers will not work. You would think that if someone bought over 10K in heads from them they would tell you that but NO... Oh well you are the lucky ones to learn from others experience.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TNorman
Yes it is... Brown = exhaust, black = intake, and make sure you dip them in oil before you slip them into position. Also, if you plan on getting AFR heads then you need thier "valve guide seals" because stockers will not work. You would think that if someone bought over 10K in heads from them they would tell you that but NO... Oh well you are the lucky ones to learn from others experience.

Thanks for that info!!! I am replacing mine (seals) in two weeks, removing springs to shim a little. I did order the seals from AFR, but still good to know your experience.