Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9"... need a LIST of to do's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford 9"... need a LIST of to do's

Did a search and found a ton of info... however, everyone had vague, and varying answers.

My buddy is GIVING me a Ford 9 out of who knows what truck. I am only taking it if its worth it to mess with it.

What is the EXACT modifications needed to make this unit work? What is the estimated costs as well for each modification or a total of what I need to put into it. First step it to sand blast and p/c to make it pretty, at least after narrowing.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in the process of putting a 9" under my car, it came out of a '77 Country Squire station wagon, damn that's a big *** car! I got lucky and found one that I won't have to narrow, it's only 1/2" narrower than the 10 bolt, sweet! Right now I'm grinding all the old shock mounts and spring perches off of it and smoothing down the welds. What I plan on doing is grinding or plasma cutting the mounts off the 10 bolt and welding them on the 9 BUT, the 9 has 3" axle tubes and the 10 bolt has 2 1/2" tubes so I'll have to take some off the 10 bolt mounts so everything will be in the right place when it goes back under the car. Then I'll have to make some brackets to bolt my calipers to, I don't think that'll be too hard. I think the only pain in the *** will be making the torque arm mount, I haven't even begun to start figuring on that. I'll get it though. After I get all that done then comes time for a good posi and some 31 spline axles from moser and it'll be time to launch to the moon!

Last edited by speedluv; 05-12-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Oh... so you dont have to narrow all 9"s??

Mine would be out of a late 70s Ford Fullsize. I'll have measurements tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's the same width there's no need to narrow it. I think the 10 bolt was 64 3/4" axle flange to axle flange, the 9 is about 64 1/4". A 1/2" aint gonna hurt a thing, that's only 1/4" per side. I actually wanted it to be a lil wider because I hate the tires being that far up under the car, just doesnt look right to me, oh well.