Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a sign of time for a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this a sign of time for a rebuild?

I took the car out to the track for the first time this year. Tuning on the street, the car would bark the tires in second, and sometimes third. Once I got it to the track, I kept hitting the rev limiter at the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I wonder if it's because the tires weren't breaking loose between gears now. I lowered my WOT shift mph as much as 20% in first and 10% in second, and it still did it. I lowered my shift rpm from 6550 all the way down to 6300 and it'd still hit the fuel cutoff at 6800 rpms. It'd hit the rev limiter as many as 3 times before shifting to the next gear. I never had these problems last year. Does this sound like a tuning problem or transmission problem. I run the car hard in the summer, and it has 86,000+ miles on it, so if it's a tranny problem I'll consider myself lucky I made it this far. I just don't want to drop 3k on a new tranny and find the same problem.

b.t.w.
I recently put a 12 bolt with 3.73's in, and a new intake and accessories. I used HP tuners to adjust the gear/tire ratio, trans mph settings, and calibrate the MAF. I also shortened the shift times and firmed up the line pressures.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tranny started with those symptoms not too long ago, on the 2-3 shift. It drove perfectly fine around town, and even seemed to handle WOT in 1st and up through second okay. It just wouldn't shift to third. A tank of gas or so later and it started acting really funky around town.
It's going in to speed inc for the "maximum evil" 4l60E on sat.