Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy transmission problem

my tranny makes a kind of grinding rattling noise when the clutch is engaged whether or not the gear is in nuetral or a gear and when i drive 1st and 2nd make the same noise but it gets louder the faster you go, third doesnt make the noise that bad and 4th is ok 5th if tyou hit the gas it comes out of gear and i cant even get it into 6th it wont hold in 6, anyone know whats up with this thing and what i can do to prevent it from happening again?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:19 PM
wrencher

Throw out bearing noise? Is it popping outa 6th? Possible you have more than one problem there.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

it sounds like a throwout bearing but it also wont hold in 5th gear if you hit the gas and i cant even get it to go into 6th, its like it wont engage the gears, i recognized the rattling before but i never had it pull outta gear when im drivin....i hate trannys
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default tranny

ok i got the verdict from the mechanic....my gears are all worn and it looks like theyve been drivin that way for a while, so it wasnt just my drivin that beat the car to death....the clutch plate is also badly worn....dunno what i did to do that, and the throwout bearing is shot....theyr gettin me a borg warner "heavy duty" clutch and a "heavy duty" tranny....we'll see how long this lasts for...............i hate my luck with this car
Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 PM
wrencher

Ever thought of doing it yourself? Save alot of money there, I can imagine what a regular shop would charge you. Search here for clutches & trannies. Heck get your own parts installed would prolly save ya. <I know that shop wouldn't be fond of that though. But it'd prolly save you alot of $$$ & you could prolly get much better parts from the sponsors/sources here.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

right now i dont have the time or ability to change them both out....i never dropped a tranny before or changed my own clutch....these are the areas i leave to the experts till i get some experience