Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 loss to LS1 w/Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LT1 loss to LS1 w/Mods

This is a bit late in being posted (happened 8 months ago). When I had my LT1 I would race pretty much anything. One night I was coming down a 4-lane (North 10th street in McAllen for you natives) When low and behold i see a gold 98+ F-Body Trans Am. I could smell the car..i am guessing no cats, and he later admitted to a chip. He was Auto and so was I. We nailed it from a dig...I pulled him by a fender up to 45mph or so. Then he crept by until about 5-55 and at 60 he started pulling (by about 1.5 cars or so). My LT1 had 2.73 gears and was bone stock automatic except Morose CAI. I was not impressed... *FAST FOREWARD* My friend with an 89' 5.0 LX wants to race...neither one of us has tires worth anything and agree to a 20mph roll. He has T5 tranny, 3.55 or 3.73 gears (he did not install, just a guess,previous owner.) full exhaust,pullies, and cold air intake. Basically, jsut normal bolt-on stuff. Anyways, his exhaust pitch changed and i nailed it (jumping him) because he had not nailed it, the exhaust he has just changes pitch at a certain RPM. Anyways, he then nails it (obviously he lost a car b/c reaction time.) and manages to stay with me from 20-60 mph me pulling on him by maybe 5 feet (if you dont take my unfair jump into account). My point is...a bolt on 5.0 gave me about the same competition as a lightly modded LS1 up to 55mph or so. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS????

CURRENTLY:
(LT1 1995 A4 black leather Trans Am, sold for $4,700 in Nov, 2004)
(1988 5.0 GT purchased 2 weeks later and extensively modified (currently being painted)
Old 05-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't chip a GM vehicle built after 95. They have interactive programmers, but no chip available so I really don't believe your first story to begin with. Also you only ran from a dig up to 60 mph max? I don't know though bud, i think your friend's car was either way off in the tune department or something wasn't right with his car.

Nate
Old 05-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned

Chip, hypertech power programmer, they both do the same thing. I did not post this to be nit-picked about terms and called BS on, I posted it to see if anyone could shed light on this LS1 I raced sucking so bad (yes, he could still break the tires loose when he punched it at 55 mph and it downshifted into 2nd and he BLEW ME AWAY from a 55mph roll) But from a dig...he did not fare so well. And we had run a couple of times b4 the dig race, so I know he was not "suprised" that I ran him.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

For what its worth a lightly modded or a stock well driven LS1 will have no problem what so ever pulling on a stock or lightly modified LT1 or a bolt on 5.0. I have pulled carlengths on a full bolt on, cam'd LT1, back when all I had was full exhaust. Granted he was an Auto and we went from a roll but it was ugly. Also we have ECU's we dont get chip's like the Mustang guys.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Chip, hypertech power programmer, they both do the same thing. I did not post this to be nit-picked about terms and called BS on, I posted it to see if anyone could shed light on this LS1 I raced sucking so bad (yes, he could still break the tires loose when he punched it at 55 mph and it downshifted into 2nd and he BLEW ME AWAY from a 55mph roll) But from a dig...he did not fare so well. And we had run a couple of times b4 the dig race, so I know he was not "suprised" that I ran him.
I'm not here to nit pick you, but you asked for our opinion and its hard to give it to you when in the original post you say that the LS1 started to creep by you at around 55-60, now you are saying that he would blow by you at 55?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

I said he crept by until 50-55 (we were even at 50 with him pulling) and then at 50-55 he just PULLED at 60 it became futile.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:19 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taufern
You can't chip a GM vehicle built after 95. They have interactive programmers, but no chip available so I really don't believe your first story to begin with. Also you only ran from a dig up to 60 mph max? I don't know though bud, i think your friend's car was either way off in the tune department or something wasn't right with his car.

Nate
Not true. They've been out for almost 2 years now, time to brush up a little.

Jet LS1 Performance Chips

I'm not really sure what to say about the story .... sounds like he just had a shittly launch, put you in front a little bit, then he hooked and pulled you like a raped ape. 1.5 cars on you from 45 - 60 sounds pretty good if you ask me ... after the shift into third, he would've ate you alive.

Dunno, maybe you should actually "race" the car, before you go posting something silly about a bolt-on 5.0 being equal to an LS1. Just make yourself look dumb judging the performance of a car on a BS "race" from 0-60mph.

Last edited by xphantomws6x; 05-15-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you had the better reaction time, then he smoked you. Thats sounds about right for a heavier 250 rwhp car vs. a lighter 300+ rwhp car. I don't know why you aren't impressed, he pulled a car and 1/2 from 50-60 mph. That sounds impressive to me. Also like xphantomws6x said, from 3rd gear on it would have just got uglier. Try racing an LS1 beyond 3rd gear. I had a head and cammed mustang and could hold my friends Z28 off for the first two gears. When we hit third gear, he would blow by me like I was standing still.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Sounds like you had the better reaction time, then he smoked you. Thats sounds about right for a heavier 250 rwhp car vs. a lighter 300+ rwhp car. I don't know why you aren't impressed, he pulled a car and 1/2 from 50-60 mph. That sounds impressive to me. Also like xphantomws6x said, from 3rd gear on it would have just got uglier. Try racing an LS1 beyond 3rd gear. I had a head and cammed mustang and could hold my friends Z28 off for the first two gears. When we hit third gear, he would blow by me like I was standing still.
I agree with everything said in this post.

Also, the stock A4 setup sucks really bad. If you had had time to do a ~3000 stall converter and some 3.42s or 3.73s it would have felt like a totally different car.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

From what I have heard, LS1's are evil on the top like you are saying. I dunno, I guess I just expected to be beaten worse from the dig. As to the mustang being faster than LS1...no way a stock one would be, at least not after 50-60 mph, but i was impressed that it APPEARED = up to 50mph. Anyways, it was enough to get me to sell the LT1 and buy a 5.0

(the LT1 is a PAIN to maintain...opti-spark...etc. etc. etc. and can get expensive, I am more familiar with the 5.0 as well. I am not saying a 5.0 is better than LS1, i would LOVED to have gotten an LS1, and i could have for the same $$ spent, but it would not have a new motor etc. etc. and i need something to get me through 4 years of college without re-builds, etc.)

The LS1 with an H/C/I combo seems to be about the meanest thing out there (within reason, monetarily). But, saving that, the 5.0 is pretty cheap/easy to make fast as well, handling is...er...more involved.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

My old A4 Lt1 would smoke a minor bolt A4 LS1 off the line, but once it shifted into 2nd the LS1 would rape me, thats why I bought an LS1 car. It takes alot of power for a car to play catch-up once the other car gets a big jump.