Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Balancing Question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Question!

I have my flywheel off and took it in to be balanced and everyplace i spoke with said i had to have my crank to balance it with. I dont want to disassemble everything. Cant it be balanced with just the new clutch kit and flywheel? any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. its a spec 3 clutch and a stock resurfaced flywheel.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

If the engine is stock( or not interannly balanced by a shop) than it should be okay to bolt it up. If it has than you can have it neutral balanced. is the car a LS1 or a LT1? I know this is true for the LT1s but Mabey someone can chime in about the LS1s.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes you think your flywheel is out of balance? The stuff isn't balanced to the crank from the factory. I think it's just spun on something that's known to be balanced and then if the flywheel itself is out of balance then that is corrected. I think that's what people are referring to as zero balancing. If I'm wrong about that I'm sure someone will chime in. Anyhow, this has been previously discussed pretty thoroughly. Do a search and read the threads. Where the heck is Rowletts KY? I've been all over KY and that's a new one on me.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone says its a good idea to balance your pressureplate and flywheel and mate them. I cant find anyone to balance them. It was fine with my old clutch set up but i switched to a new spec 3 and resurfaced my old flywheel. can i mate them together and install them w/o balancing them and not have a problem? everyone and everything i read says to balance them together. ive done the searches and now im relying on specified help to my problem. sorry to be a pain. And btw the car is an ls1.
Thanks for any help!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GET IT BALANCED!! Its not rocket science. They should be able to do it. I Had my Ram HD and Alum flywheel balanced by wayne calvert in Denton, Tx and he took quite a bit of material off BOTH the fly and the PP. VERY smooth reving motor now even with the poly tranny mount.