Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Signs of bad Master or bad slave?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signs of bad Master or bad slave?

My saga of clutch issues continues! (read some other posts about my spec 3 if you want, lol - currently running a new z06 clutch kit)

New problem: Clutch loses 90% of it's pressure and the clutch engages at the VERY bottom of the pedal travel (approx. 1-2 inches from floor). I've tried bleeding it and it just returns to the same state in about 20 seconds of pumping the clutch. I don't have any fluid loss. This leads me to air probably getting into the system.

If i disconnect the master/slave i get about 1/2 inch of pedal travel and then i hit a brick wall (so this tells me that the master is MOST likely fine). As soon as I connect it back to my slave it starts to lose it's pressure again.

The master is a Mcleod Adj and I have the 01+ Slave (both less than 3 months of use).

Here's how i've temporarily remedied the situation. If I PLUG the hole in the resevoir cup I regain 90% of the pressue w/ about 1/2 inch of pedal play at the top. I do NOT lose any pedal pressure over time. This is obviously not allowing the fluid to go back into the resevoir and thus it holds its pressure. I hope this helps is enough detail.

SO what do you guys / gals think? Bad master, bad slave? How can I do more testing to get to the root of the problem?

Thanks for the help!

- Jeff
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

If it's a Mcleod it is most likely your master. I did the same thing, unplug the slave and it was rock hard.but my clutch pedal was looseing pressure and started sticking to the floor.This is what I did.I got under the dash and pulled the rubber boot back on the master and pushed the pedal down with my hand.I could see fluid bubbleing up.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ldickson
If it's a Mcleod it is most likely your master. I did the same thing, unplug the slave and it was rock hard.but my clutch pedal was looseing pressure and started sticking to the floor.This is what I did.I got under the dash and pulled the rubber boot back on the master and pushed the pedal down with my hand.I could see fluid bubbleing up.
Ahh...verrry interesting. I'll give this a shot tomorrow and report back. I talked to Red Roberts over there at Mcleod and he suggested I bleed the line in a specific way that he has seen cure this problem. I've done that and STILL get the mushy pedal when I unplug the hole in the resevoir cup. Gonna look into what you (ldickson) said and see if I come to the same conclusion.

Ldickson - what did you do once you found the fluid bubbeling up? Did it require a new master or did you get the rebuild kit from Mcleod?

Thanks!

- Jeff
Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....00&postcount=8

Yeah, NOW I see how you solved it!

Where did you get the factory adjustable? I've seen them somewhere but can't remember!

Thanks!

- Jeff
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6firehawk109
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....00&postcount=8

Yeah, NOW I see how you solved it!

Where did you get the factory adjustable? I've seen them somewhere but can't remember!

Thanks!

- Jeff
I got one from texas speed& performance. It was the ram adustable one. No one had a rebuild kit in stock.

PS. did you check it yet?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ldickson
I got one from texas speed& performance. It was the ram adustable one. No one had a rebuild kit in stock.

PS. did you check it yet?
Naw, haven't had a chance to check it out yet...work is keeping me busy...I will find out today or this weekend and then call Mcleod back for sure.

On another note, does anyone have an explanation as to why plugging the hole in the reservoir would solve the issue? Is this preventing air from being pulled in bec. the fluid doesn't compress? - that is my only guess.

Help is appreciated

Thanks,

- Jeff