Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worried about my Yank converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worried about my Yank converter

Several months ago I took my car down for a major overhaul, including a tranny rebuild. I sent the converter (Yank ST3500) to yank for a rebuild. Long story short, the converter was pretty much completely trashed. According to Yank, "it looked like a boken piece from the tranny went throught the converter and tore it up." So I bought a new SS4000. Right now I'm currently rebuilding the tranny. Upon tearing apart the tranny, it was full of converter material, but otherwise it was in really good shape. Today I pulled the front pump apart. Both halves of it have a huge groove around the stator support and the pump is full of converter material. Looks like a piece of trash from the converter ripped right through it. I'm now buying a new front pump and needless to say, I'm a little worried about putting my new Yank converter into my new tranny.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with a Yank converter?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What trans are you working on here?
4L60E I guess.
I've seen failed part debris get stuck in the cooler, even though it was flushed, later to reappear in the new trans. Maybe one possiblity.
How do you know it's converter material?
Both halves of it have a huge groove around the stator support
Any pics. Do you mean both parts have grooves around the pump rotor?
I ask because you take the pump apart and only one side will have the stator support on it.
If there is a groove on the stator support is there a matching grooves inside the pump drive tube?
Did you turn the converter stator with the pump to check for noise? Same with the input shaft, stick it in the converter and check for noise?
Maybe take it to a converter shop to get cut open?
Or as a last resort if you're going to trash it anyway, take a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel and open it up yourself, takes 10 minutes.

Then find the cause to the repeated problem, maybe try different lock up speeds at the track, or not lock it up at all unless you get a vigilante multi disc.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

My PT4200 just came apart after 7 months of use with a little track time. It smoked my input shaft and sent metal through the tranny. I watched the guy take apart my tranny, everthing was tight except for metal everywhere. Im rebuilding it any way. I sent my unit to Dave to get rebuilt. I hope he hooks me up proper. My converter performed awesome, it just didnt hold up.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
What trans are you working on here?
4L60E I guess.
I've seen failed part debris get stuck in the cooler, even though it was flushed, later to reappear in the new trans. Maybe one possiblity.
How do you know it's converter material?
Yes, it's a 4L60E. The color (light grayish) and amount of the material buildup throughout the trans suggests converter material.

Any pics. Do you mean both parts have grooves around the pump rotor?
The grooves are on the body and cover, on either side of the pump rotor. The filter in the pump is also full of metal shavings.

Did you turn the converter stator with the pump to check for noise? Same with the input shaft, stick it in the converter and check for noise?
Maybe take it to a converter shop to get cut open?
Or as a last resort if you're going to trash it anyway, take a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel and open it up yourself, takes 10 minutes.

Then find the cause to the repeated problem, maybe try different lock up speeds at the track, or not lock it up at all unless you get a vigilante multi disc.
The new converter that I have to go into it is a virgin converter. No reason to cut it up. The old converter is in a junk pile somewhere at Yank. The internals were pretty much completely destroyed. Like I said above, they told me that it looked like something from the transmission went through the converter and chewed everything up. My findings so far suggest the opposite.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so you had a bad converter and right now you're rebuilding the trans that it was in, and you have a new converter waiting to go in it.

I didn't fully understand.

Thats a tough one, I'd say it's not very common for trans debris to ruin a converter.
I'm no big time trans builder but from what I've seen a converter can destroy itself and send trash into the trans, And a trans can fail and send trash to the converter. But it's usually not enough trash from one to destroy the other.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

when a converter goes, all of that debris goes straight to the pan. then it has t ogo through the filter before it can get into the trans. if something goes wrong inside the trans, it goes through the converter then back into the pan. that's my understanding of how things move around.

Quick Reply: Worried about my Yank converter