Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 help

Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default M6 help

i tried searching for this but i dont really even know what to search for so if this is a common problem excuse my ignorance. ok so recently ive been haveing a pretty big problem with 3rd and 5th gear. with 5th it wont shift into gear unless coming from 4th, like if i downshift from 6th its like there is nothing there. tried just double clutching but that did absolutely nothing...that was a week ago. now it will go with a little "convincing" but it doesnt feel like its going as far into gear as it should, its like its just barely engaging. now to the problem with 3rd. ive explained this to a few people and they seem to think the shift gate is bent. basically when trying to get into 3rd quicly its a no go. and its not that i just suck and cant hit it b/c ive had the car for almost 1.5 years and its just now doing it. at high rpms it simply wont go into third, i have to let off the gas and coast for a min to slow down or just go to 4th, and its even starting do do it on occasion just in daily driving. if it is a bent gate or w/e can anyone tell me what id be getting into if i replaced this money and time wise?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have an aftermarket shifter, check the stop setting( throw them away- this is one thing they can cause) . You (or anyone else) will not bend a shift "gate"(link). There could be several things going on here. If you have high miles the clutch may not be fully releaseing( this would affect all geras , though) The fork pads could be worn and limitimg your gear engagement. If you still have an aluminum 3/4 fork, that could be your 3rd issue. Start with the shifter, then clutch release system, then consider a teardown/ rebuild.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its still the stock shifter, and the car has 90k miles. i myself have never changed the clutch and have no idea how old it actually is.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a clutch issue, i had the same problem it wouldnt go into third at all until the rpm's fell at high 3rd or 4th wouldnt engage.
After I changed the clutch the problem was solved

Search this Thread