Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need to bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to bleed?

I'm reinstalling my M6 after some work and was curious if I needed to bleed the clutch system. When I removed the line from the transmission during removal nothing leaked out so I'm thinkin the system has not been purged in any way...
Old 05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Did you re-use your original slave cylinder? Have you replaced the hydraulics and bled the system at some earlier date?

If nothing in the hydraulic system was touched, you might be ok. You won't hurt anything by connecting the lines and testing it out... see if pedal pressure feels normal and if the clutch is engaging and disengaging as it should. If everything is working properly, you're good to go.

If there's even the slightest bit of difference in feel, I'd bleed the system just to be sure. It's a quick and easy process, no sense not doing it.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I re-used all the original clutch components. No I have never bled the system before.

Most likely I'll be leaving it as is and testing it out tonight. Only thing that bites is that fitting that connects into the slave cylinder is a pain to remove if I do end up needing to bleed the system...
Old 05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smoove1011
Only thing that bites is that fitting that connects into the slave cylinder is a pain to remove if I do end up needing to bleed the system...
Find an end wrench that just barely fits over the metal part and use that to push on the plastic, while pulling out on the braided line at the same time.