Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning Oil

I noticed that if I drive my 2000 M6 Vette hard for a while, it will get a faint burning oil smell. Also, 2 times before the low oil light has come on and I just top it off..........All good. I talked to a mechanic at the dealership, and he said as long as I regularly change the oil and top it off when it gets low, the motor will be fine. It scares the **** out of me when I'm romping on it then 10 minutes later at the stop light I smell oil...........Is this happening to anyone else? Should I be worried? I plan on taking it out to the drag strip this weekend, but I'm feeling kinda weary!!!! Any help would be great
Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I noticed that if I drive my 2000 M6 Vette hard for a while, it will get a faint burning oil smell. Also, 2 times before the low oil light has come on and I just top it off..........All good. I talked to a mechanic at the dealership, and he said as long as I regularly change the oil and top it off when it gets low, the motor will be fine. It scares the **** out of me when I'm romping on it then 10 minutes later at the stop light I smell oil...........Is this happening to anyone else? Should I be worried? I plan on taking it out to the drag strip this weekend, but I'm feeling kinda weary!!!! Any help would be great
how much u burning is it over 1 quart per 1k mile, the ls1 does burn oil, and it is not uncomong for a hard driven ls1 to burn the above amount. with that being said the pcv valve lets oil into the intake, this is something easily fixed with a catch can.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zamboxl
how much u burning is it over 1 quart per 1k mile, the ls1 does burn oil, and it is not uncomong for a hard driven ls1 to burn the above amount. with that being said the pcv valve lets oil into the intake, this is something easily fixed with a catch can.
I'm not sure of the exact abount. But I'd say a quart and a half in 3000 miles. I've only had the check oil light come on twice in 20,000 miles of driving. But it did twice and after a good long hard drive........
Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hellfire, my Trans Am is a 1999 with less than 40,000 miles and burns about a quart every 300 miles. I run the livin' **** out of it and it treats me right. I just keep topping the oil off.

I tried driving it normal ... as some people consider normal. It used hardly any oil at all.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Hellfire, my Trans Am is a 1999 with less than 40,000 miles and burns about a quart every 300 miles. I run the livin' **** out of it and it treats me right. I just keep topping the oil off.

I tried driving it normal ... as some people consider normal. It used hardly any oil at all.
That makes me feel alot better. Do you smell burnt oil after you drive it hard?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Teching In

"It scares the **** out of me when I'm romping on it then 10 minutes later at the stop light I smell oil...........Is this happening to anyone else?"

I used to get that smell also. The AMW catch can all but eliminated it. Basically,
most of the oil I add between changes ends up in the catch can.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Vette
That makes me feel alot better. Do you smell burnt oil after you drive it hard?
if iam sittign at a light and i free rev it, or step on it i get some smoke on the top end. However don't feel better just yet if u burning 1 quart per 1k miles or more then u really should look into it, also if u burning oil at iddle like u just sitting there and it starts smoking out of nowhere then thast not good either, if it does that mos likely u'll need new valve seals, thats no big deal though.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes these engines get fuel glaze-over in the cylinder walls, which will allow a little oil to blow by the piston and it comes out the exhaust, which smells a little oily. At high rpm's mine smokes a little bit above say 5500 rpm's ... could be what's going on with it. I'll have a leakdown test done on it next week to isolate whether it might be valve seals or glaze-over. It's been like that for about 6 months and hasn't gotten any worse. I just don't let the oil level get low ... about a half-quart goes in every week.

Valve train is noisy, but, so is my wife's Trans Am and so was my 2000 Trans Am I used to own. Started getting noisy after about 35,000 miles. It's got nearly 39,600 miles on it now.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zamboxl
if iam sittign at a light and i free rev it, or step on it i get some smoke on the top end. However don't feel better just yet if u burning 1 quart per 1k miles or more then u really should look into it, also if u burning oil at iddle like u just sitting there and it starts smoking out of nowhere then thast not good either, if it does that mos likely u'll need new valve seals, thats no big deal though.
Its been doing it for a while. What I mean is that it did it once a long time ago. I bought new heads and a cam, had them installed and the car was fine for a while............... until I broke it in and started romping it. It only did it one time since. Just before it was time to get an oil change it was short like 1 1/2 quarts of oil.......I toped it off and a week later had my oil changed.