Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!! Is my tranny about to take a dump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Is my tranny about to take a dump?

Ok, Im a little new at this, so bear with me
I have a daily driven 02 SS that has progressively become difficult/rough to shift. In addition, I feel like the torque has been pulled out from under me. Basically, the car is working much too hard (and the RPMs are way to high) to only get the gutless kind of response I would normally get from my grandpas V6 mustang. The mileage is around 35,000 and the clutch has been recently replaced. Any ideas on a diagnosis before I go hand over my next 2 paychecks to the dealership for repair? Thanks so much!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the description I would have to lean more towards a clutch issue than the tranny. If the clutch is not completely disengaging the shift effort is going to be pretty high. Make sure you fluid level is good in the tranny, lack of lubrication will also increase shift effort. There is nothing in the tranny that would "slip" causing the high rpm vs power.

Unfortunately it is all a guess without pulling the tranny annd clutch out for inspection.

You mentioned that the clutch has already been replaced. How long ago and what kind of clutch.

35K miles is pretty low to be having tranny problems.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1madss
Based on the description I would have to lean more towards a clutch issue than the tranny. If the clutch is not completely disengaging the shift effort is going to be pretty high. Make sure you fluid level is good in the tranny, lack of lubrication will also increase shift effort. There is nothing in the tranny that would "slip" causing the high rpm vs power.

Unfortunately it is all a guess without pulling the tranny annd clutch out for inspection.

You mentioned that the clutch has already been replaced. How long ago and what kind of clutch.

35K miles is pretty low to be having tranny problems.
The clutch was replaced at the end of January/about 700 miles ago (so its practically still brand new). It was the standard OEM clutch (warranty covered ) - thanks!!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try replacing your tranny fluid. See if that helps
Old 05-22-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weird... I just blew 3rd gear at 40K in mine. Shifts and drives fine as long as I stay out of 3rd, but I never felt any of that.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe you should go to a dyno just to be sure.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Is my tranny about to take a dump?