Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is running hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is running hot

I recently had the o-rings replaced in my car due to it burning excessive oil, 1 quart every 800-1000 miles. I've got my car back from the dealership after they replaced the rings and now whenever I am driving and the RPM's are above 3000 RPM's for any lenght of time my temp guage soars up to 235-240 degrees. But if I ride with low RPM's then the temp goes back down to 210. I have the Hypertech Programmer on it and the fans should come on at 194. I parked it right next to my garage and the temp stayed at 210. The temp only seems to rise whenever I am holding higher RPM's for any length of time, and by length of time I mean a mile to a mile and a half. Before I took my car in to get the motor work done it never went over 210 degrees. What do yall think could be the problem? I am thinking it could be one of three things: thermostat, water pump, or they put the head gaskets on wrong.

My car is a 2000 Z28 with 6-speed and the mods to it are lid, FRA, Hypertech Programmer (to change the fans, tire size, etc.) SLP Loudmouth. Everything else is suspension so that doesn't effect it. The car only has 45,000 miles on it and I still have warranty, thats why I took it to the dealership for the work.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your fluid level first to see if it is low. Then go from there.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Teching In

I checked it last night and it was full.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So no leaks cuz its full. Next thing i can think of is change out your thermostat. They are only about 20 at autozone. you will need more dexcool for this as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

A freind of mine couldn't figure out why his car would overheat at high rpms when cruising on the hwy until a body shop guy looked at his air dam in the front of the car, it was bent out of shape. City driving was always cool.

Maybe thats it
Old 05-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quickin
A freind of mine couldn't figure out why his car would overheat at high rpms when cruising on the hwy until a body shop guy looked at his air dam in the front of the car, it was bent out of shape. City driving was always cool.

Maybe thats it
Thats kinda weird, I will look at mine when I get home, maybe they did not install it correctly when they put the motor back in.