Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh, big problem...what to do????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default uh oh, big problem...what to do????

well i was putting my pulley on tonight, about to finish up my cam install, went to back out the longer bolt and the damn thing wont come out, i guess i must have went too far in and f***** something up in there. i put a damn torque wrench on there and went to back the bolt out and its barely doing anything at all, i am so pissed off right now.

what the hell can i do? i guess i screwed up the threads on the crank and am in deep ****, guys im just so out of it right now. let me know if there is any hope in fixing this, although i doubt there is...
Old 05-20-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off get the bolt out, you can put a breaker bar on the bolt, wedge the breaker bar against the ground or a section of frame, then kick the starter over a few times, just make sure the breaker bar is on the correct way so it doesn't swing around. This will break the torque on the bolt and loosen it up. Once you get it out check out the threads and see how it looks, you may have just damaged the threads at the bottom of the shaft in the crank in which case you should be fine because the factory bolt won't reach that far. Good luck!

-Sly
Old 05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many cranks have to get fu(ked up before people will STOP promoting using a longer bolt to install crank pulleys. Good luck getting it fixed. Next time, use some all thread, some washers and a nut.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
How many cranks have to get fu(ked up before people will STOP promoting using a longer bolt to install crank pulleys. Good luck getting it fixed. Next time, use some all thread, some washers and a nut.
trust me i read about all this **** before now is not the time to mention how i fucked up. i was pulling it out to put washers on there. i feel like a jack *** enough without you saying so, i read 4 posts this past week out this and tried to be careful and messed up.

as i go to back the bolt out it wont barely move, after a few hard attempts to take it out, i can turn it back in a few deg with no problem and hten it starts to loosen ok until it hits one point and stops. would bumping the starter help this out?? it pretty much feels cross threaded and something is going to have to give for it to come out
Old 05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Get the bolt out and run a 16 X 1.20 tap in there to perserve the threads and hope for the best.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks ill try it, that bolt is a bitch to come out, i pull on it has hard as i can and its not really budging, im gonna try a pipe over the bar tomorrow, im too tired tonight.

this just is killin me, esp when i knew to look out for it, i was lookin at the damn pulley and it looked like it had a lot more to go but when i stepped back and looked at the other pulleys i saw there wasnt much left, a time machine would be nice right about now
Old 05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
trust me i read about all this **** before now is not the time to mention how i fucked up. i was pulling it out to put washers on there. i feel like a jack *** enough without you saying so, i read 4 posts this past week out this and tried to be careful and messed up.

as i go to back the bolt out it wont barely move, after a few hard attempts to take it out, i can turn it back in a few deg with no problem and hten it starts to loosen ok until it hits one point and stops. would bumping the starter help this out?? it pretty much feels cross threaded and something is going to have to give for it to come out
I said good luck. I can imagine what you are feeling. My post was more directed to all the people that say you don't need an installation tool, just get the cheap longer bolt. You have to understand I tried to sell cheap (compared to what you are facing now) pulley install tools here and got reamed for doing so.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

too bad you don't have any more of those tools layin around 2xLS1....i'd be interested in one
Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

well my first read made me feel even dumber than i was, so with that clarification, no offense taken.

although that bolt is still stuck in there, i guess the only thing i can hope for is to have it somehow come out and not do much damage, if not would have to get a whole new crank?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
well my first read made me feel even dumber than i was, so with that clarification, no offense taken.

although that bolt is still stuck in there, i guess the only thing i can hope for is to have it somehow come out and not do much damage, if not would have to get a whole new crank?
cranks aren't too expensive used. however getting it in there won't be easy/cheap.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah thats what i mean, having to take the motor out and fixing all that will end up costing a small fortune, which if i have to spend any money doing that i might as well do the whole bottom end so i dont have to mess wtih it again
Old 05-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really sucks.
Good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats funny you posted this (well not funny, but) I JUST did the same stupid thing a few minutes ago. I used a long bar and broke the bolt in the crank. Luckily, only the outer part of the threads broke and I was able to get a screwdriver in there and get the rest of the bolt out. I then ran the old crank bolt in there a few times to check the threads, they seem to be fine. Good luck!!! BTW what is the Best way to reinstall the crank?? Is the allthread the only way?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
too bad you don't have any more of those tools layin around 2xLS1....i'd be interested in one
DITTO!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think some have fixed the threads with a heli coil type kit. You might be able to get some info on it by searching here.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok thanks i was just reading on this and it seems that a lot of guys had the same issue back in september trying to seat the pulley. i tired to pm some of them to see if they could help. anything that i could do to prevent having to spend more money would be great. i guess ill have to wait to see what they did so i can do it right this time and not freak it up AGAIN
Old 05-20-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Either way, you have to get the bolt out. It will most likely break, but you might get lucky like I did.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I said good luck. I can imagine what you are feeling. My post was more directed to all the people that say you don't need an installation tool, just get the cheap longer bolt. You have to understand I tried to sell cheap (compared to what you are facing now) pulley install tools here and got reamed for doing so.
I have one of your install tools sitting in my garage right now waiting to be used on my car. A friend of mine bought it a while back for his install and we just used it on his a couple weeks ago. It worked like a charm, I'd say it's worth every penny after actually using it
Old 05-20-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by f-bodman
I have one of your install tools sitting in my garage right now waiting to be used on my car. A friend of mine bought it a while back for his install and we just used it on his a couple weeks ago. It worked like a charm, I'd say it's worth every penny after actually using it
what exactly is this? either way, wahtever happens im gonna get the pulley back on there and i need to know the correct way to do it, ive never done it before and was going off of what others used, mostly what was on ls1howto.com. i need to know the correct way to do it now
Old 05-20-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sandking
Either way, you have to get the bolt out. It will most likely break, but you might get lucky like I did.
im gonna work on this tomorrow, either with a long pipe from the store for the end of the torque wrech (old one) or find someone with an electirc impact that will put out some good juice. its a hardened bolt in there now actually, so im sure it has screwed the threads up, maybe it will come out in one piece and i can use other meathods to fix it. any recommendations on the best way to get it out?