Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

2000 TA not idling right

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 TA not idling right

Alright, after I got on it very hard from 1st gear, it died-kinda like it was going out of gas.

Anyway, I had to pump the gas pedal to start it, and still do. Then, it runs bad for a while and wont idle on its own at a stop. Autozone scanned it, said it found misfires, and had 2 codes for the MAF which would make sense. I went on LS1Tech(Their search feature is fucked right now) and found some people have had this problem and replaced/swapped every damn sensor or part with no good results.

Im going to clean the MAF, IAC, and check connections today since I just remembered that 4 or so hours vefore hand I went to an automatic car wash that has an under carrige cleaner, that may have got water in some connections.

Any ideas? Still runs fast as hell, just have to keep the damn thing running at a stop light.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the Fuel filter? What other mods do you have? The fuel pumps are not the best in the world, if you are starving it, you will have some problems. Just a thought, somewhere along the way you are loosing fuel pressure, just need to track it down..
Old 05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ApacheDrill
What about the Fuel filter? What other mods do you have? The fuel pumps are not the best in the world, if you are starving it, you will have some problems. Just a thought, somewhere along the way you are loosing fuel pressure, just need to track it down..

Today it go worse, surging/bucking VERY violently, like riding a bull. Car is stock as hell, just did the smooth bellows about amonth ago. MAF might be bad? I have to find someone to swap with real fast...

Would clogged cats cause this aswell? Should I just say **** it and put a 427 LPE motor on my card?

EDIT my tach no longer has a signal... Cam sensor? Is there a crank trigger?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I unplugged the MAF sensor and all troubles gone. Ill buy a used one off here.

I also tried cleaning the MAF/EGR valve, and other sensors with carb cleaner, with no success before hand.

Hope this helps others!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

im having the same exact problems you were having, i tried disconnecting the maf sensor and it still gives me the same crap... what else could it be?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 92 z28
im having the same exact problems you were having, i tried disconnecting the maf sensor and it still gives me the same crap... what else could it be?
If you unplugged the MAF, also reset the computer. If thats not is, it might be an ignition problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Teching In

I am going to almost the same problems right now. Shuddering when starting from a stop. Shaking and some light backfires when I get on WOT at any speed or RPM. Anything else though the car drves like nothing is wrong. I think my PCM is fried and it is in limp mode. I run the data on my Predator and all of the sensors provide what looks like correct data, its just the PCM doesn't pay attention to the sensors. I can run with everything hooked up or unplugged for sensors and it doesn't change the way the engine runs in the smallest way or even throw a code.

The cause of your problem might not be the same as mine but your PCM could be in lim mode due to a chaffed wire since we have the same symptoms.

If you are getting no tach then the crank position sensor wire might be cut or chaffed. The crank sensor is on the passenger side of the block rght above the oil level sensor. I had to remove my starter to check my crank snsor wire.

If you disconnect the MAF and still getting the same results the PCM is probably in limp mode and there might be a shorted wire somewhere.

I couldn't find any chaffed or melted wires on my engine. I haven't removed my intake manifold yet, but I used a mirror and the cam position seemed ok. I ordered a replacement computer and I am going to give that a try. I am thinking my PCM is fried since it never throws a code even if I unhook most of the sensors off the engine.