Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on pulling pistons and rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? on pulling pistons and rods

Hey, I have a question as I will be pulling out my rods and crank for machining soon and was wondering if I would be able to get the rod/piston assembly out through the bottom of the block? I have never installed pistons before and want to figure out how it is done. I dont see a problem pullin them out the bottom, but can they be reinstalled through the bottom? I really dont want to go through pulling the heads to do this....This would be a first engine rebuild for me and should I also replace the main bearings and main bolts? I do not think they are damaged at all just the rods, crank, and rod bearings. I will be putting in arp rod bolts also. Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

dissasemble the motor. Pull the heads and push the pistons out thru the top.

If it seems like too much work to pull the heads then you should look into lettin someone else build the motor for you.

Brad
Old 05-22-2005, 12:17 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Like Squinz said, you're gonna have to pull the heads. Any "ridge" at the top of the cylinders has to be removed, you may need to hone the cyls, etc.
Plus pulling the crank out the bottom seems like a PITA to me. Easier to pull the engine to work on it. And if you're gonna have the crank machined or journals polished you need new bearings. No offense, but I don't think you've thought this through very well. Good luck.

Edit: I assumed you were gonna try to do it with the engine in the car. My bad.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

I would just pull the whole engine out. I had three cracked pistons and had to drop the engine. Just grab the book from Will Hanzel and it tells you everything you need to know. Good Luck