Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning almost stock car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Tuning almost stock car

I was wondering what a tune from say pcmforless would do for my car. I only have a catback and a K&N filter. Will my car have better drivability and will be gain some power? No mods for the near future so the tune seems like a go, i guess its worth it to me a little extra edge.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I was wondering what a tune from say pcmforless would do for my car. I only have a catback and a K&N filter. Will my car have better drivability and will be gain some power? No mods for the near future so the tune seems like a go, i guess its worth it to me a little extra edge.
If your car has driveability issues as it stands now, then you have other problems than what a tune will offer you.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by txhorns281
If your car has driveability issues as it stands now, then you have other problems than what a tune will offer you.
I have no drivability issues what so ever, I thought tuning would make it even better yet.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good tuner can make the car more fun to drive, since the throttle response will get better, and the low end torque too.

And if someone did have driveability problems, then a good dyno tune would help solve it, since they could pinpoint potential problem areas when they've got it hooked up to the A/F meter and to Autotap. I know a lot of guys, myself included, who found little minor problems when their car was on the dyno, and were able to solve them and pick up some horsepower there too! In my case, I found on my old 95 Formula that it was running way too lean, due to there being a crack in the rubber tubing going into the throttle body. And with my C5, we found 7 degrees of KR on the first pull, and traced the problem to being from the plugs (it had only 32k on it but the original platinum plugs were in terrible shape)

Keep in mind, this is from a proper dyno tune. A mail order tune will not help fix problems like this. That is why I'd never recommend a mail order tune unless you know for sure your car does not have any issues like I mentioned.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that a great tuner can work wonders even on a stock car, i am not a big fan of generic mail in tunes, cause each car is different and needs to really be done custom with Edit or HP on a dyno. Thats my 2 cents...