Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 to M6 Swap, easy question here please

Old 05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 to M6 Swap, easy question here please

Hey I'm converting my A4 to M6, so far have clutch, flywheel, master, slave, throwout bearing, and pedals. That should be everything to get me going MINUS the transmission, bellhousing, and tranny crossmember, right?

Would it be ok to install everything MINUS the transmission, and start the car? What would happen with clutch installed and no Transmission? Just curious if there is anythign I can test with transmission out to make sure all hydraulics, etc working. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not see a pilot bearing on your list, which is why I offer mys take. The clutch is centered by the input shaft. Without it I don't know what will keep the disc centered( balanced). Also the trans crossmember mount is the 3rd mount in the engine / trans assembly. Without a trans, what is holding the back of the engine? You mention testing the hydraulics. The slave mounts to the trans. If you cycle the slave without it held between the clutch and the trans, you risk overtravel of the cylinder, leakage ,damage. It sounds like an all arround bad idea to do this to me.

Search this Thread