Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Sticky in gears!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter Sticky in gears!

Okay this is driving me nutz. I just had my M6 rebuilt with a new 3-4 steel fork, 3-4 billet synchro, new carbon blockers. Now the problem is sometimes my tranny will stick in gear. I can get it out of gear without to much difficulty, but it will do it in every gear. It feels like something is rubbing up against the stick making it hard to move. i usually just have to bump the stick and it pops out. It only seems to do it after i beat on it a little. Is it possible that the cheap *** Advanced auto fluid could be causing the problem? It actually almost feels like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way. I am going to go move my master line at lunch away from the header that may help a little. But what wil cause it to get sticky in the gears like that even after a rebuild.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lines too close to headers boil the fluid and cause a release system to fail. Insulate/ isolate the line, bleed the system. What you describe( drag into/ out of gears) sound more like a rebuild quality issue. The shift rail may be binding. The rail is supported by 4 bushings . Damage to/ debris in any can cause this.Cheap oil is never quite the bargain in the long term but I dont think it is your problem unless you did not use ATF.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated above, it's not the trans it's the Master cylinder heating up and not totaly dis-engageing the pressure plate.. Look in the SPEC clutches are a SCAM on page 3 or 4.. Read my Drill Mod and protection of the master cylinder braded line. This will solve your problem...

Clint
Old 05-28-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved my line on wednesday and I found the perfect place. Under my car right above the Drivers side CAT there is a heat shield. I unbolted that shield got my some longer self tapping screws and ran my lline in behind the heat shield and bolted it down. Now it is completly out of the way and she shifts good now. Alot of the sticking has been eliminated and i can actually shift into 3rd now when beating on it Has anyone else ever routed there line behind that shield?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
I moved my line on wednesday and I found the perfect place. Under my car right above the Drivers side CAT there is a heat shield. I unbolted that shield got my some longer self tapping screws and ran my lline in behind the heat shield and bolted it down. Now it is completly out of the way and she shifts good now. Alot of the sticking has been eliminated and i can actually shift into 3rd now when beating on it Has anyone else ever routed there line behind that shield?
Yeppers... Did that long ago...

Even with the line behind the shield my Master cylinder line got hot. Now It's wrapped with header wrap, behind the shield, and using the wilwood 570deg brake fluid to keep everything cool enough......... I guess with over 700RWHP the exhaust gets very hot.. I see temps of 1300 Deg F on my pyrometer exhaust guage during a long WOT pull, and it's mounted into the y-pipe...

Clint