Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ok, I'm at my wits end with this ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I'm at my wits end with this ....

Ok, I am really hating to be a moron keeping posting about tire sizes that fit here, but I've been trying to "help" my dad out with his car and he keeps basically screwing everything up.....

I got on here and read the fit thread, and from the beginning, I told him what he wanted to get was an 18x9 38mm offset rim with 275/35/18 tires. This is EXACTLY the equivelent width and daimeter that came on stock WS6 cars.

To my knowledge, the differences between the regular trans am and WS6 trans am's suspension would *NOT* affect fitting the 275/35/18 tire whatsoever...

So anyways.

He's been to two different tire shops right now, both of whom have claimed "yeah this will fit" with rim sizes and tire sizes different than what was clearly stated by enough people that it obvoiously would have worked...

So now the car is at the local tire shop and they're trying to fit 275/35/18 tires on American Eagle Rebel 18x9 rims with a 32mm offset...

...And they just called to say they can't fit them because they're rubbing?

:wtf:

So basically what this tells me, and I'd really appreciate the backup, is that the offset is wrong and what was needed was the 38mm offset to get it all to fit right without any rubbing whatsoever....

But, also, do you all think there's any way to fit something like a 255/45/18 or whatever on a rim with that offset?

or is the 32mm offset just gonna kill off the whole deal?

*argh* this is so maddening ....

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated....
Old 05-24-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lowest offset I've seen on an f-body is a 35mm offset on a sport maxx wheel and also on an ADR M-sport wheel. Also I wouldn't suggest going with a 255/45/18 tire just because it won't look right.

Did they order the wheels with that offset or did your dad? Go get them traded for the correct offset.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

The tire shop ordered the wheels for us.... we told them we wanted to fit 275/35/18 tires on an 18x9 rim.

I didn't order the combo myself, and supposedly what came in was too big of diameter....I didn't go inspect it myself...

but I guess screw the whole thing, I told my dad I was done trying to help his stupid *** if all he was gonna do was bitch that "gear heads on the internet don't know anything" ...

Old 05-24-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

find a tire calculator for going between sizes, keeping the same sidewall and width but going an inch bigger seems like its going to change alot, including the speedo. example, i went from 235/55/16 to 275/40/17 and thats pretty much the exact same, speedo is only off by about 1 mph at 60. the lesson, same numbers dont always work best.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

at dad.........Man i've learned more from the gear heads on the internet than I have from ANYTHING else. It's an endless supply of information from people who have "been there done that" I don't think I could do **** now after having a computer and internet for like 7-8 years. But I know people who feel the same way as your Dad, they just don't realize what can be learned if they just open there mind.

Besides that, there is an endless supply of internet ****